The Loyola Chicago Ramblers (17-4, 7-2 MVC) will try to prolong their six-game winning streak against the UNI Panthers (11-10, 3-6 MVC) at Joseph J. Gentile Center. Loyola Chicago is a 7.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 122.5 points. Action gets underway at 4 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 28, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
UNI Panthers vs. Loyola Chicago Ramblers Betting Preview
In the Panthers last game, they defeated the Illinois State Redbirds, 83-72. Isaiah Brown was UNI’s leading scorer with 20 points on 6-for-13 shooting. UNI played a nearly perfect game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.377 (above their season average of 0.202) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.594 (above their season average of 0.490). Illinois State had marks of 0.031 and 0.538, respectively, for those same stats.
The Ramblers will look to keep it rolling after thoroughly outplaying the Drake Bulldogs in their last contest, 80-57. Loyola Chicago was led by Clayton Custer, who put up 14 points and eight assists. The Ramblers had a superb turnover percentage of 8.6 (better than their season average of 18.5) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.633 (above their season average of 0.576).
Baskets could be hard to come by in this showdown between two of the nations best defenses. Loyola Chicago currently ranks 22nd in defensive efficiency (94.6) and UNI is 26th (94.7). Additionally, the Panthers rank 276th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.210), while the Ramblers rank 14th in opponents FTA rate (0.170).
Of UNI’s 17 games that accepted bets, nine have finished under the projected point total, while 10 of Loyola Chicago’s 17 games have finished under the O/U total. The Ramblers come into this game with much better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 17-4 SU and 12-5 ATS, while the Panthers are 11-10 SU and 6-10-1 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 106 points in that game, which was well under the projected point total of 123. The Ramblers won 56-50, covering as 5-point underdogs. The Ramblers dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.5 and a free throw rate of 0.167. The Panthers recorded marks of 17.8 and 0.115, respectively, for those same stats. Despite the loss, Bennett Koch was the games leading scorer with 17 points.
UNI Panthers vs. Loyola Chicago Ramblers ATS Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Loyola Chicago, ATS Winner – Loyola Chicago, O/U – Over
- The Ramblers average 6.0 steals per game, which ranks 132nd in the NCAA. The Panthers rank 138th in steals allowed per game (6.7).
- On the road, UNI is 2-6-1 ATS with 5 unders and 4 overs.
- At home, Loyola Chicago is 4-3 ATS with 5 overs and 2 unders.
- Loyola Chicago ranks 64th in assists per game (15.5) while UNI ranks 249th (11.3).
- The Panthers rank 135th in three pointers attempted per game (22.0) while the Ramblers rank 255th (17.6).
- Loyola Chicago ranks 18th in rebounds allowed per game (30.5) while UNI ranks 122nd (34.5).
- Loyola Chicago is 5-0 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, UNI is 3-1-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Ramblers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 15.2, up from 9.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Panthers have scored an average of 70.4 points per game (4.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 67.0 points per game (4.8 above their season average).