The UNCW Seahawks (4-10, 1-2 CAA) can put an end to an eight-game road losing streak when they go head-to-head with the Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens (8-8, 1-2 CAA) at Bob Carpenter Center Acierno Arena. Delaware is a 4-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 151.5 points. Tip-off is set for 2 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 7, 2018.
UNCW Seahawks at Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens Free Preview
In the Seahawks last game, they got blown out by the Towson Tigers, 89-71. With 15 points on 6-for-10 shooting, Devontae Cacok led UNCW in scoring. Towson had an effective field goal percentage of 0.635 (above their season average of 0.538). UNCW, meanwhile, had a free throw rate of 0.250 (above their season average of 0.233).
The Fightin’ Blue Hens are hoping for a better outcome after their 90-65 loss to the William & Mary Tribe in their last matchup. Ryan Daly was Delaware’s leading scorer with 21 points on 6-for-12 shooting. William & Mary had an effective field goal percentage of 0.693 (above their season average of 0.615). Delaware, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 36.6 (above their season average of 30.3).
Delaware should be expected to protect the ball well in this contest. Delaware ranks 37th in the nation at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.5 percent), while UNCW forces the 21st-fewest turnovers (16.1 percent). It will also be a battle of opposite styles as the up-tempo Seahawks rank 13th in possessions per game, while the more half-court oriented Fightin’ Blue Hens rank 304th.
Of UNCW’s 12 games that accepted bets, eight have finished over the projected point total, while 5 of Delaware’s 10 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Fightin’ Blue Hens have a clear advantage. They are 8-8 SU and 3-6-1 ATS, while the Seahawks are 4-10 SU and 1-10-1 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 114 points in that game, which was well under the projected point total of 153.5. The Fightin’ Blue Hens won 58-56, covering as 2-point underdogs. The Fightin’ Blue Hens turnover percentage was their largest advantage over the Seahawks. Delaware had a rate of 9.5, while UNCW posted a mark of 12.5. Despite the loss, Cacok was a top performer in the game with seven points and 19 rebounds.
UNCW Seahawks vs. Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Delaware, ATS Winner – UNCW, O/U – Over
- On the road, UNCW is 0-8-1 ATS with 6 overs and 3 unders.
- At home, Delaware is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- UNCW ranks ninth in rebounds per game (41.8) while Delaware ranks 159th (35.4).
- The Seahawks average 16.1 assists per game, which ranks 53rd in the nation. The Fightin’ Blue Hens rank 120th in assists allowed per game (13.3).
- Delaware ranks 41st in steals allowed per game (5.4) while UNCW ranks 82nd (6.1).
- Delaware is 1-3 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, UNCW is 1-3 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- The Fightin’ Blue Hens average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 4.6, up from 1.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Seahawks have scored an average of 79.6 points per game (1.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 78.8 points per game (6.8 below their season average).