The Furman Paladins (16-8, 7-4 SoCon) welcome the UNCG Spartans (17-6, 8-2 SoCon) in a matchup that pits outstanding offense against tremendous defense. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 136.5 points with Furman opening as a 5.5-point favorite. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 7, 2018.
UNCG Spartans vs. Furman Paladins Odds Preview
The Spartans dismantled the VMI Keydets in their last game, 73-51. With 12 points and 10 rebounds, UNCG’s James Dickey put together a good outing. UNCG played a nearly flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 14.6 (better than their season average of 18.0) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 30.6 (below their season average of 34.3). For those same stats, VMI was 31.4 and 14.3, respectively.
In the Paladins last matchup, they were blown out by the Citadel Bulldogs, 100-92. With 10 points, nine rebounds and seven assists, Daniel Fowler put together a good outing for Furman. Citadel did a fantastic job of converting from the charity stripe (24-31; 77.4 percent). Furman, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (33.3 vs. 22.9).
This showdown pits one of the nations top offenses against one of its elite defenses. Furman currently ranks 43rd in offensive efficiency and UNCG ranks seventh in defensive efficiency.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Spartans, it’s been Marvin Smith, who has averaged 14.8 points, 6.8 rebounds and 1.6 steals, while the Paladins have gotten solid contributions from John Davis III (14.8 points and 1.2 steals).
These teams have already met once this season. The Spartans won 71-61. The Spartans played a flawless game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.447 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.532. The Paladins put up marks of 0.164 and 0.473, respectively, for those same stats. Francis Alonso had a standout performance in the victory, producing 17 points and five rebounds.
UNCG Spartans at Furman Paladins Prediction
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Furman, ATS Winner – Furman, O/U – Over
- The Paladins rank 36th in assists per game (16.5) while the Spartans rank 127th (14.0).
- UNCG is eighth in the NCAA with 2.2 blocks allowed per game while Furman is 59th with 2.8 blocks allowed per game.
- Furman averages 8.1 steals per game, which ranks 19th in the nation. UNCG ranks 186th in steals allowed per game (7.3).
- The Spartans rank 15th in rebounds allowed per game (30.4) while the Paladins rank 154th (34.8).
- UNCG ranks 18th in three pointers attempted per game (27.6) while Furman ranks 151st in three pointers allowed per game (22.0).
- The Paladins average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.8, down from 10.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spartans have scored an average of 79.4 points per game (5.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 69.4 points per game (6.1 above their season average).