The Chattanooga Mocs (7-15, 1-8 SoCon) will attempt to put an end to the five-game winning streak of UNCG when they welcome the Spartans (16-5, 7-1 SoCon) to McKenzie Arena. UNCG opened as a 6-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 128 points. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Monday, January 29, 2018.
UNCG Spartans vs. Chattanooga Mocs Odds Preview
The Spartans were victorious over the Samford Bulldogs in their last contest, 98-82. With 18 points and seven rebounds, UNCG’s Marvin Smith had a good performance. The Spartans had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 50.0 (above their season average of 34.1) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.792 (above their season average of 0.520).
In the Mocs’ last game, they were beaten by the VMI Keydets, 70-69. James Lewis Jr. was Chattanooga’s high scorer with 15 points on 6-for-6 shooting. VMI held the Mocs to an offensive rebounding percentage of 13.3 (below their season average of 26.2). Chattanooga, on the other hand, had a free throw rate of 0.300 (above their season average of 0.226).
Chattanooga might struggle to find the bottom of the net as they battle against one of the NCAA’s best defenses. UNCG currently ranks 13th in defensive efficiency while the Mocs rank 268th in offensive efficiency. ,
Of UNCG’s 14 games with betting action, eight have finished under the O/U total, while 9 of Chattanooga’s 18 games have finished over the projected point total. The Spartans hold a significant advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 16-5 SU and 10-4 ATS, while the Mocs are 7-15 SU and 8-9-1 ATS.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Spartans, it’s been Smith, who has averaged 15.4 points, 7.4 rebounds and 1.6 steals, while the Mocs have gotten solid contributions from Rodney Chatman (14.2 points, 6.8 assists and 6.2 rebounds).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Mocs won the last game 91-68. Chattanooga had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.643 vs. 0.465). UNCG, meanwhile, did a fantastic job of converting from the charity stripe (15-20; 75.0 percent).
UNCG Spartans vs. Chattanooga Mocs Odds Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – UNCG, ATS Winner – UNCG, O/U – Over
- The Spartans rank 10th in assists allowed per game (9.9) while the Mocs rank 94th (12.8).
- UNCG ranks 29th in three pointers attempted per game (26.8) while Chattanooga ranks 68th (24.4).
- UNCG is 5-2 ATS on the road with 4 unders and 3 overs.
- Chattanooga is 2-6 ATS at home with 4 overs and 4 unders.
- UNCG ranks 17th in steals per game (8.3) while Chattanooga ranks 204th (4.7).
- The Spartans rank 112th in rebounds per game (36.4) while the Mocs rank 247th (32.4).
- UNCG ranks fifth in blocks allowed per game (2.1) while Chattanooga ranks 115th (3.6).
- Chattanooga is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, UNCG is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Mocs average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 2.2, up from 2.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spartans have scored an average of 75.4 points per game (2.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 64.4 points per game (1.7 above their season average).