The UNCG Spartans (8-3) can lengthen a six-game home winning streak when they challenge the UNC Asheville Bulldogs (6-5) at Greensboro Coliseum. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, December 19, 2017.
UNC Asheville Bulldogs vs. UNCG Spartans Odds Preview
The last time the Bulldogs played, they were beaten by the Western Carolina Catamounts, 76-72. UNC Asheville’s Ahmad Thomas put together a good performance, leading the team in scoring with 17 points on 8-for-10 shooting. Western Carolina did an excellent job of converting from the charity stripe (18-24; 75.0 percent). UNC Asheville, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (15.7 vs. 19.6).
The Spartans will look to keep it rolling after topping the North Carolina State Wolfpack in their last outing, 81-76. UNCG was lifted by Marvin Smith, who had 16 points and 10 rebounds. The Spartans held the Wolfpack to an offensive rebounding percentage of 17.2 (below their season average of 37.4) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.617 (above their season average of 0.526).
It could be a mistake-prone game for the UNC Asheville offense. UNC Asheville ranks 331st in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 22.6 percent), while the pesky defense of UNCG forces the 18th-most turnovers in the NCAA (25.0 percent).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Spartans won the lone game played against each other last season, 75-73. UNCG had a better offensive rebounding percentage (38.2 vs. 33.3). UNC Asheville, on the other hand, had a better free throw rate (0.145 vs. 0.083).
UNC Asheville Bulldogs at UNCG Spartans Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – UNC Asheville, ATS Winner – UNC Asheville, O/U – Under
- The Spartans rank sixth in blocks allowed per game (1.7) while the Bulldogs rank 104th (3.5).
- UNCG ranks 32nd in rebounds allowed per game (31.4) while UNC Asheville ranks 65th (32.7).
- UNCG ranks 16th in three pointers attempted per game (28.4) while UNC Asheville ranks 204th (19.4).
- The Spartans average 9.8 steals per game, which ranks 10th in the nation. The Bulldogs rank 182nd in steals allowed per game (8.6).
- UNCG ranks fourth in assists allowed per game (9.4) while UNC Asheville ranks 117th (13.5).
- The Spartans average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.6, down from 14.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bulldogs have scored an average of 75.0 points per game (0.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.4 points per game (2.6 above their season average).