The UNC Asheville Bulldogs (7-5) will try to snap the five-game winning streak of Saint Mary’s when they travel to McKeon Pavilion to meet the Gaels (10-2). Tip-off is scheduled for 10 p.m. ET on Friday, December 22, 2017.
UNC Asheville Bulldogs vs. Saint Mary’s Gaels Odds Preview
The Bulldogs defeated the UNCG Spartans in their last outing, 67-60. MaCio Teague was the games high scorer with 25 points on 6-for-12 shooting. UNC Asheville dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.413 (above their season average of 0.229) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.522 (below their season average of 0.529). For those same stats, UNCG recorded marks of 0.130 and 0.491, respectively.
In the Gaels last game, they beat the Dayton Flyers, 69-54. Saint Mary’s received a boost from Jock Landale, who contributed 14 points and 11 rebounds. Saint Mary’s dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.204 (below their season average of 0.257) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.602 (above their season average of 0.576). Dayton was 0.050 and 0.425, respectively, for those same stats.
The elite offense of Saint Mary’s will battle against the mid-tier defense of UNC Asheville. The Gaels rank 20th in effective field goal percentage (0.578), while the Bulldogs are 142nd in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.490). The Gaels figure to have the edge on that side of the ball.
Landale has been outstanding over the last five games for Saint Mary’s, averaging 25.6 points and 11.2 rebounds per game.
UNC Asheville Bulldogs vs. Saint Mary’s Gaels Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – UNC Asheville, ATS Winner – UNC Asheville, O/U – Over
- The Gaels rank 36th in assists per game (16.8) while the Bulldogs rank 127th in assists allowed per game (13.4).
- UNC Asheville averages 4.2 blocks per game, which ranks 71st in the nation. Saint Mary’s ranks 114th in blocks allowed per game (3.7).
- UNC Asheville ranks 17th in steals per game (8.9) while Saint Mary’s ranks 204th (3.8).
- The Gaels rank 17th in three pointers allowed per game (17.1) while the Bulldogs rank 182nd (23.6).
- UNC Asheville ranks 82nd in rebounds per game (38.0) while Saint Mary’s ranks 226th (33.2).
- The Gaels average margin of victory in their last five games has been 14.6, up from 13.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bulldogs have scored an average of 72.0 points per game (2.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 72.4 points per game (1.6 above their season average).