BigSou foes will battle when the High Point Panthers (5-7, 0-1 BigSou) go head-to-head with the UNC Asheville Bulldogs (8-6, 1-0 BigSou) at Millis Center. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018.
UNC Asheville Bulldogs vs. High Point Panthers Odds Preview
The Bulldogs were victorious over the Campbell Fighting Camels in their last contest, 85-79. Ahmad Thomas led UNC Asheville in scoring with 24 points on 10-for-16 shooting. UNC Asheville played a nearly flawless game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.352 (above their season average of 0.240) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 18.5 (below their season average of 29.5). For those same stats, Campbell put up marks of 0.203 and 15.6, respectively.
In the Panthers last matchup, they were defeated by the Winthrop Eagles, 76-60. Andre Fox was the games leading scorer with 21 points on 7-for-13 shooting. Winthrop did an excellent job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (22-25; 88.0 percent). High Point, meanwhile, forced the Eagles into a turnover percentage of 29.8 (above their season average of 15.0).
It could be a mistake-prone game for the UNC Asheville offense. UNC Asheville ranks 308th in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 21.8 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of High Point forces the fourth-most turnovers in the nation (26.1 percent).
MaCio Teague has taken his game to another level over the last five games for UNC Asheville, averaging 16.6 points, 5.6 rebounds and 1.6 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Bulldogs won both matchups last season. In the most recent contest, UNC Asheville won 74-71. UNC Asheville did an excellent job of making free throws (17-23; 73.9 percent). High Point, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (25.0 vs. 17.9).
UNC Asheville Bulldogs vs. High Point Panthers ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – High Point, ATS Winner – High Point, O/U – Under
- The Bulldogs rank 233rd in three pointers attempted per game (18.4) while the Panthers rank 276th (13.2).
- High Point ranks fifth in steals per game (10.5) while UNC Asheville ranks 176th in steals allowed per game (8.4).
- The Panthers rank 25th in assists allowed per game (10.7) while the Bulldogs rank 147th (13.9).
- UNC Asheville ranks 91st in blocks per game (3.6) while High Point ranks 151st in blocks allowed per game (4.8).
- The Panthers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.2, down from 8.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bulldogs have scored an average of 78.0 points per game (2.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 74.0 points per game (0.9 above their season average).