The Vermont Catamounts (27-6, 17-1 AmEast) and UMBC Retrievers (23-10, 14-4 AmEast) will face off at Roy L Patrick Gymnasium to bring the regular season to an end. Action starts at 11 a.m. ET on Saturday, March 10, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
UMBC Retrievers at Vermont Catamounts Free Preview
The last time the Retrievers played, they were victorious over the Hartford Hawks, 75-60. K.J. Maura was the games high scorer with 18 points on 6-for-11 shooting. UMBC dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.236 (above their season average of 0.200) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 31.4 (above their season average of 27.5). Hartford put up marks of 0.154 and 21.1, respectively, for those same stats.
The Catamounts will look to maintain momentum after blowing out the Stony Brook Seawolves in their last matchup, 70-51. Vermont was lifted by Drew Urquhart, who was the top scorer from either team with 19 points on 4-for-9 shooting. Vermont dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.644 (above their season average of 0.308) and a turnover percentage of 10.3 (better than their season average of 15.4). For those same stats, Stony Brook put up marks of 0.175 and 18.1, respectively.
Vermont appears to have the edge on the offensive side of the ball. The Catamounts rank 19th in effective field goal percentage (0.563), while UMBC ranks 217th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.512). Additionally, the Retrievers, who rank 306th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.201), could have a tough time getting to the line against the Catamounts, who rank 20th in opponents FTA rate (0.183).
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Retrievers, it’s been Maura, who has averaged 17.2 points, 5.4 assists and 1.6 steals, while the Catamounts have gotten solid contributions from Urquhart (14.6 points, 8.4 rebounds and 1.6 blocks).
These two teams have met twice already this season, with the Catamounts winning both. In the most recent matchup, Urquhart had 18 points and eight rebounds and the Catamounts beat the Retrievers 81-53. Vermont made eight of their 17 three pointers (47.1 percent), while UMBC was 6-22 (27.3 percent).
UMBC Retrievers at Vermont Catamounts Betting Prediction
Basketball Pick: SU Winner – UMBC, ATS Winner – UMBC, O/U – Over
- The Catamounts rank 49th in assists allowed per game (11.6) while the Retrievers rank 138th (13.4).
- UMBC ranks 47th in blocks allowed per game (2.8) while Vermont ranks 82nd (3.1).
- UMBC ranks 32nd in steals per game (7.5) while Vermont ranks 253rd (3.9).
- The Retrievers rank 27th in three pointers attempted per game (26.4) while the Catamounts rank 247th (19.0).
- Vermont ranks second in rebounds allowed per game (28.7) while UMBC ranks 210th (36.4).
- The Catamounts average margin of victory in their last five games has been 15.2, up from 10.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Retrievers have scored an average of 73.2 points per game (1.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 65.8 points per game (3.9 below their season average).