AmEast foes will clash when the Stony Brook Seawolves (8-14, 3-5 AmEast) meet the UMBC Retrievers (15-8, 6-2 AmEast) at Island Federal Credit Union Arena. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 31, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
UMBC Retrievers vs. Stony Brook Seawolves ATS Preview
The Retrievers beat the Maine Black Bears in their last game, 86-74. Jairus Lyles was the top scorer from either team with 34 points on 12-for-22 shooting. UMBC dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 18.4 (worse than their season average of 16.0) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 36.1 (above their season average of 29.6). For those same stats, Maine was 27.9 and 30.0, respectively.
In the Seawolves last game, they were defeated by the Albany Great Danes, 57-50. Tyrell Sturdivant was Stony Brook’s leading scorer with 12 points on 5-for-9 shooting. Albany did a fantastic job of making free throws (17-21; 81.0 percent). Stony Brook, meanwhile, forced the Great Danes into a turnover percentage of 20.2 (above their season average of 14.6).
It could be a sloppy game for the Stony Brook offense. Stony Brook ranks 279th in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 20.7 percent), while the pesky defense of UMBC forces the 54th-most turnovers in the NCAA (21.8 percent).
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after splitting two games last season. The Retrievers won the last matchup 65-52. The Retrievers played a nearly flawless game. They had a great offensive rebounding percentage of 32.4 and an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.333. The Seawolves had marks of 15.4 and 0.222, respectively, for those same stats.
UMBC Retrievers at Stony Brook Seawolves Betting Prediction
Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Stony Brook, ATS Winner – Stony Brook, O/U – Under
- The Seawolves rank 153rd in rebounds per game (35.6) while the Retrievers rank 198th in rebounds allowed per game (36.4).
- Stony Brook averages 8.0 steals per game, which ranks 27th in the NCAA. UMBC ranks 153rd in steals allowed per game (7.0).
- The Seawolves rank 72nd in three pointers attempted per game (24.4) while the Retrievers rank 197th in three pointers allowed per game (23.3).
- UMBC ranks 48th in assists per game (16.0) while Stony Brook ranks 114th (14.4).
- The Seawolves average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 2.4, up from 1.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Retrievers have scored an average of 72.2 points per game (3.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 66.4 points per game (4.9 below their season average).