AmEast foes will collide when the Massachusetts-Lowell River Hawks (6-9, 0-2 AmEast) clash with the UMBC Retrievers (11-7, 2-1 AmEast) at Tsongas Center. Action gets underway at 12 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 13, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
UMBC Retrievers vs. Massachusetts-Lowell River Hawks Betting Preview
In the Retrievers’ last game, they were victorious over the Maine Black Bears, 72-67. Jairus Lyles was UMBC’s leading scorer with 16 points on 5-for-15 shooting. UMBC dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.298 (above their season average of 0.209) and a turnover percentage of 17.7 (worse than their season average of 15.8). For those same stats, Maine was 0.226 and 21.4, respectively.
The River Hawks are hoping for a better outcome after their 84-73 loss to the Hartford Hawks in their last contest. With 16 points, eight assists and six rebounds, Jahad Thomas had a solid outing for Massachusetts-Lowell. Hartford forced the River Hawks into a turnover percentage of 22.2 (above their season average of 16.4). Massachusetts-Lowell, meanwhile, had a better free throw rate (0.259 vs. 0.259).
It could be a mistake-prone game for the Massachusetts-Lowell offense. Massachusetts-Lowell ranks 191st in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 19.2 percent), while the pesky defense of UMBC forces the 62nd-most turnovers in the NCAA (21.9 percent).
This is the first time these teams will meet this year, after the Retrievers won both contests last season. In the most recent contest, UMBC won 108-102. UMBC had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (40.7 vs. 25.9). Massachusetts-Lowell, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (13.2 vs. 18.1).
UMBC Retrievers at Massachusetts-Lowell River Hawks Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Massachusetts-Lowell, ATS Winner – Massachusetts-Lowell, O/U – Over
- The Retrievers rank 56th in steals per game (7.3) while the River Hawks rank 124th in steals allowed per game (6.9).
- UMBC ranks 11th in three pointers attempted per game (29.4) while Massachusetts-Lowell ranks 183rd (20.8).
- The Retrievers rank 126th in rebounds per game (36.5) while the River Hawks rank 250th (32.1).
- UMBC averages 15.6 assists per game, which ranks 61st in the NCAA. Massachusetts-Lowell ranks 165th in assists allowed per game (14.3).
- The River Hawks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 9.8, up from 1.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Retrievers have scored an average of 65.8 points per game (11.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 62.4 points per game (10.3 below their season average).