The Hartford Hawks (18-11, 11-4 AmEast) and UMBC Retrievers (20-10, 11-4 AmEast) will battle at Chase Family Arena to bring the regular season to a conclusion. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 27, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
UMBC Retrievers at Hartford Hawks ATS Preview
The last time the Retrievers played, they were victorious over the Massachusetts-Lowell River Hawks, 83-75. Joe Sherburne was the top scorer from either team with 21 points on 6-for-12 shooting. The Retrievers held the River Hawks to an effective field goal percentage of 0.454 (below their season average of 0.524) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 23.8 (below the 29.0 mark opponents have averaged against UMBC this season).
The Hawks come in on a high note after defeating the Binghamton Bearcats in their last contest, 67-57. Hartford was lifted by John Carroll, who was the game’s leading scorer with 23 points on 7-for-13 shooting. Hartford played a nearly perfect game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.316 (above their season average of 0.206) and a turnover percentage of 4.3 (better than their season average of 16.3). For those same stats, Binghamton recorded marks of 0.054 and 15.8, respectively.
Hartford may have trouble getting to the foul line in this meeting. The Hawks currently rank 278th in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.210, while UMBC ranks 69th in FTA rate allowed (0.205).
These teams have already met once this season. The Retrievers won 78-56. UMBC was lights out from beyond the arc (12-29; 41.4 percent). Hartford, on the other hand, had a better free throw rate (0.218 vs. 0.138). Jairus Lyles scored a game-high 35 points.
UMBC Retrievers at Hartford Hawks ATS Prediction
Free Basketball Tip: SU Winner – UMBC, ATS Winner – UMBC, O/U – Under
- UMBC averages 26.7 three pointers per game, which ranks 25th in the nation. Hartford ranks 187th in three pointers allowed per game (22.8).
- The Retrievers rank 31st in steals per game (7.6) while the Hawks rank 154th (5.7).
- UMBC averages 15.5 assists per game, which ranks 61st in the NCAA. Hartford ranks 134th in assists allowed per game (13.3).
- The Hawks’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.6, up from 1.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Retrievers have scored an average of 70.8 points per game (3.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 65.2 points per game (5.1 below their season average).