Expect a shootout when the UMBC Retrievers (4-4) and the Citadel Bulldogs (3-4) face off at McAlister Field House. Action gets underway at 3 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 2, 2017.
UMBC Retrievers vs. Citadel Bulldogs Free Preview
In the Retrievers last outing, they lost to the Army West Point Black Knights, 81-70. Joe Sherburne put together a solid performance for UMBC, leading both teams in scoring with 17 points on 5-for-10 shooting. Army West Point held the Retrievers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.491 (below their season average of 0.576). UMBC, on the other hand, had a free throw rate of 0.268 (above their season average of 0.263).
The Bulldogs are trying to rebound after their 100-91 loss to the Marist Red Foxes in their last game. Quayson Williams was the top scorer from either team with 22 points on 7-for-13 shooting. Marist was lights out from beyond the arc (18-40; 45.0 percent). Citadel, on the other hand, forced the Red Foxes into a turnover percentage of 26.2 (above their season average of 21.1).
UMBC could struggle to create turnovers. Since last season, Citadel ranks 79th in the nation at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 17.4 percent), while UMBC has forced the 196th-most turnovers (18.8 percent). Moreover, the 43rd-ranked offense of the Retrievers (offensive efficiency of 112.7) will go head-to-head against the 339th-ranked defense of the Bulldogs (defensive efficiency of 113.1).
The Retrievers won the sole game against the Bulldogs last season, 120-111. The Retrievers played a nearly perfect game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.463 and a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 35.4. The Bulldogs were 0.135 and 28.4, respectively, for those same stats.
UMBC Retrievers at Citadel Bulldogs Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – UMBC, ATS Winner – UMBC, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Retrievers rank 174th in rebounds allowed per game (35.2) while the Bulldogs rank 328th (44.2).
- UMBC ranks 104th in steals per game (6.7) while Citadel ranks 249th in steals allowed per game (7.3).
- Citadel ranks second in three pointers attempted per game (35.4) while UMBC ranks 254th in three pointers allowed per game (23.0).
- The Retrievers rank 66th in assists per game (15.2) while the Bulldogs rank 318th in assists allowed per game (19.6).
- UMBC ranks 33rd in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while Citadel ranks 247th (4.3).