AmEast foes will clash when the Albany Great Danes (15-6, 3-3 AmEast) challenge the UMBC Retrievers (13-7, 4-1 AmEast) at SEFCU Arena. Action begins at 2 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 21, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
UMBC Retrievers at Albany Great Danes Betting Preview
The last time the Retrievers played, they won big over the Hartford Hawks, 78-56. Jairus Lyles was the games leading scorer with 35 points on 12-for-20 shooting. The Retrievers had a ridiculous effective field goal percentage of 0.603 (above their season average of 0.537) and had a turnover percentage of 11.4 (better than their season average of 16.0).
The Great Danes come in on a high note after defeating the Massachusetts-Lowell River Hawks in their last game, 70-62. With 23 points on 9-for-14 shooting, Joe Cremo was the top scorer from either team. Albany played a nearly perfect game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.365 (above their season average of 0.280) and a turnover percentage of 18.5 (worse than their season average of 14.3). Massachusetts-Lowell was 0.093 and 23.8, respectively, for those same stats.
Albany appears to have an advantage on the offensive glass in this matchup. The Great Danes rank 22nd in offensive rebounding percentage (35.4 percent), while UMBC ranks 191st in defensive rebounding percentage (71.1 percent).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Great Danes won both matchups last season. In the most recent matchup, Albany won 78-69. The Great Danes played a nearly flawless game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.439 and a turnover percentage of 10.2. The Retrievers had marks of 0.222 and 17.5, respectively, for those same stats.
UMBC Retrievers vs. Albany Great Danes Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Albany, ATS Winner – Albany, O/U – Over
- The Great Danes rank 50th in steals allowed per game (5.5) while the Retrievers rank 126th (6.8).
- UMBC ranks 12th in three pointers attempted per game (29.1) while Albany ranks 275th (15.2).
- The Great Danes rank 11th in rebounds allowed per game (30.5) while the Retrievers rank 182nd (36.4).
- UMBC ranks 52nd in assists per game (15.9) while Albany ranks 138th in assists allowed per game (13.6).
- The Great Danes average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.6, down from 5.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Retrievers have scored an average of 73.2 points per game (4.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 64.6 points per game (6.7 below their season average).