Pac-12 foes will clash when the California Golden Bears (7-8, 1-1 Pac-12) challenge the UCLA Bruins (11-4, 2-1 Pac-12) at Haas Pavilion. Tip-off is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 6, 2018, and it can be seen on Pac-12 Network.
UCLA Bruins at California Golden Bears Free Preview
In the Bruins last outing, they fell to the Stanford Cardinal, 107-99. With 31 points on 10-for-21 shooting, Aaron Holiday was the top scorer from either team. Stanford held the Bruins to an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.8 (below their season average of 30.5). UCLA, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 8.9 (better than their season average of 15.3).
The Golden Bears are hoping for a better outcome after their 80-62 loss to the No. 25 USC Trojans in their last matchup. Justice Sueing was California’s high scorer with 15 points on 6-for-16 shooting. USC forced the Golden Bears into a turnover percentage of 25.8 (above their season average of 17.9). California, on the other hand, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (32.4 vs. 30.6).
UCLA could put on a ball-control clinic in this battle. UCLA ranks 57th in the nation at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.9 percent), while California forces the 100th-fewest turnovers (18.2 percent).
Holiday has been playing at a high level over the last five games for UCLA, averaging 19.8 points, 5.2 rebounds and 5.0 assists per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Bruins won the lone contest last season, 81-71. The Bruins dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.323 and a turnover percentage of 11.1. For those same stats, the Golden Bears recorded marks of 0.145 and 14.5, respectively.
UCLA Bruins at California Golden Bears Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – California, ATS Winner – California, O/U – Over
- The Bruins rank 16th in blocks allowed per game (2.2) while the Golden Bears rank 91st (3.5).
- UCLA ranks 132nd in three pointers attempted per game (22.5) while California ranks 280th (14.3).
- The Bruins rank 100th in assists per game (14.9) while the Golden Bears rank 240th (10.9).
- UCLA ranks 16th in rebounds per game (41.3) while California ranks 111th (37.0).
- The Golden Bears average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 2.4, down from 4.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bruins have scored an average of 87.4 points per game (3.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 79.8 points per game (2.8 above their season average).