The Sacramento State Hornets (3-9) will be at home in The Hornets Nest when they clash against the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos (9-3). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 143.5 points with UC Santa Barbara set as an 8-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 10:05 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 23, 2017.
UC Santa Barbara Gauchos vs. Sacramento State Hornets Odds Preview
In the Gauchos last matchup, they had no trouble getting past the San Diego Christian Hawks, 87-69. Max Heidegger led UC Santa Barbara in scoring with 19 points on 8-for-12 shooting. UC Santa Barbara dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 27.5) and a free throw rate of 0.186 (below their season average of 0.259). San Diego Christian was 9.8 and 0.109, respectively, for those same stats.
The Hornets are hoping for a better outcome after their 80-75 loss to the Portland Pilots in their last contest. With 19 points and 13 rebounds, Justin Strings had a solid performance for Sacramento State. Portland had a turnover percentage of 9.6 (better than their season average of 16.1). Sacramento State, meanwhile, held the Pilots to an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.9 (below the 29.8 mark opponents have averaged against Sacramento State this season).
Half-court execution will be critical when a pair of the nations slowest-paced teams face off. Sacramento State currently ranks 282nd in possessions per game (68.4) and UC Santa Barbara is 314th (69.7).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. UC Santa Barbara games have finished over 70.0 percent of the time, while games including Sacramento State have finished under 70.0 percent of the time. The Gauchos hold a clear advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 9-3 SU and 8-2 ATS, while the Hornets are 3-9 SU and 5-4-1 ATS.
UC Santa Barbara Gauchos at Sacramento State Hornets Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – UC Santa Barbara, ATS Winner – Sacramento State, O/U – Under
- The Gauchos rank 214th in three pointers attempted per game (20.6) while the Hornets rank 252nd (17.8).
- Sacramento State is 44th in the NCAA with 2.7 blocks allowed per game while UC Santa Barbara is 57th with 2.4 blocks allowed per game.
- UC Santa Barbara ranks 36th in steals allowed per game (4.9) while Sacramento State ranks 113th (6.8).
- The Gauchos rank 124th in rebounds per game (35.9) while the Hornets rank 178th in rebounds allowed per game (36.5).
- Sacramento State ranks 148th in assists per game (13.4) while UC Santa Barbara ranks 197th in assists allowed per game (14.3).
- The Hornets average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 3.2, down from 6.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Gauchos have scored an average of 81.8 points per game (3.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 72.6 points per game (0.6 below their season average).