BigWst foes will battle when the CSUN Matadors (6-22, 3-11 BigWst) challenge the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos (20-7, 9-4 BigWst) at Matadome. UC Santa Barbara opened as an 8.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 141 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 10 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 24, 2018.
UC Santa Barbara Gauchos at CSUN Matadors Betting Preview
The last time the Gauchos played, they lost big to the UC Irvine Anteaters, 69-49. With 17 points on 7-for-19 shooting, Gabe Vincent was the top scorer from either team. UC Irvine had an offensive rebounding percentage of 41.0 (above their season average of 34.4). UC Santa Barbara, meanwhile, had a better free throw rate (0.158 vs. 0.091).
The Matadors are trying to rebound after their 90-86 loss to the Cal Poly Mustangs in their last outing. Tavrion Dawson was CSUN’s leading scorer with 31 points on 13-for-25 shooting. Cal Poly did a terrific job of making free throws (19-24; 79.2 percent). CSUN, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 10.8 (better than their season average of 16.7).
Second-chance points might be hard to come by for CSUN in this matchup. The Matadors rank 305th in offensive rebounding percentage (24.5 percent), while UC Santa Barbara ranks 64th in defensive rebounding percentage (74.2 percent). The Gauchos should have an advantage in terms of ball protection. They rank 19th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 15.5 percent), while the Matadors force the 68th-fewest turnovers in the nation (opponents turnover percentage of 17.1 percent).
Of UC Santa Barbara’s 24 games that accepted bets, 13 have finished over the O/U total, while 16 of CSUN’s 25 games have finished under the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Gauchos have a significant advantage. They are 20-7 SU and 16-8 ATS, while the Matadors are 6-22 SU and 10-14-1 ATS.
Dawson has been superb over the last five games for CSUN, averaging 17.2 points, 5.6 rebounds and 1.2 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 126 points, which was under the projected point total of 137.5. The Gauchos won 75-51, covering as 14-point favorites. The Gauchos dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 43.6 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.523. The Matadors put up marks of 23.8 and 0.345, respectively, for those same stats. Leland King II recorded a double-double with 25 points and 17 rebounds.
UC Santa Barbara Gauchos vs. CSUN Matadors Free Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – UC Santa Barbara, ATS Winner – UC Santa Barbara, O/U – Under
- The Matadors rank 18th in three pointers allowed per game (18.3) while the Gauchos rank 108th (21.0).
- UC Santa Barbara ranks first in steals allowed per game (3.5) while CSUN ranks 70th (5.8).
- UC Santa Barbara is 11-4 ATS on the road, while CSUN is 3-5 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 8 of the Matadors 8 home games, while 11 of the Gauchos 15 road games have gone over.
- UC Santa Barbara ranks 81st in rebounds per game (37.0) while CSUN ranks 278th (31.9).
- The Gauchos rank 98th in assists per game (14.5) while the Matadors rank 229th (12.0).
- UC Santa Barbara ranks 38th in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while CSUN ranks 140th (3.8).
- CSUN is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, UC Santa Barbara is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Matadors average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 8.8, up from 6.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Gauchos have scored an average of 69.6 points per game (6.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 68.4 points per game (1.7 below their season average).