The UC Riverside Highlanders (5-14, 0-5 BigWst), who are currently on a seven-game losing streak, will try to get back in the win column when they visit Bren Events Center to challenge the UC Irvine Anteaters (8-14, 3-3 BigWst). UC Irvine opened as a 10.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 130.5 points. Tip-off is set for 10 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 24, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
UC Riverside Highlanders at UC Irvine Anteaters Free Preview
The Highlanders fell to the CSUN Matadors in their last contest, 66-57. Chance Murray had a good performance for UC Riverside, leading the team in scoring with 17 points on 3-for-13 shooting. CSUN had a turnover percentage of 12.5 (better than their season average of 16.0). UC Riverside, on the other hand, held the Matadors to an offensive rebounding percentage of 22.9 (below the 33.8 mark opponents have averaged against UC Riverside this season).
In the Anteaters last game, they were beaten by the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos, 70-58. Tommy Rutherford led UC Irvine in scoring with 17 points on 7-for-10 shooting. Getting to the free throw line was one of UC Santa Barbara’s biggest strengths. They had 26 free throw attempts, while UC Irvine had just nine.
When considering effective field goal percentage, UC Irvine figures to have a substantial edge. The Anteaters defense ranks 40th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.467), while the UC Riverside offense is ranked 336th in effective field goal percentage (0.455).
Games featuring these teams have a tendency to go under the O/U total. UC Riverside games have gone under 71.4 percent of the time, while 57.9 percent of UC Irvine games have finished under. The Anteaters hold the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (8-14 vs. 5-14), but the Highlanders have the superior against the spread (ATS) record (6-8 vs. 6-10-3).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Anteaters won all three contests played against each other last season. In the last matchup, UC Irvine won 76-67. The Anteaters dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 38.9 and a solid free throw rate of 0.279. For those same stats, the Highlanders recorded marks of 16.2 and 0.186, respectively.
UC Riverside Highlanders vs. UC Irvine Anteaters Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – UC Irvine, ATS Winner – UC Riverside, O/U – Under
- The Anteaters rank 157th in assists per game (13.2) while the Highlanders rank 167th in assists allowed per game (14.3).
- UC Riverside is 3-4 ATS on the road with 5 unders and 2 overs.
- At home, UC Irvine is 1-1-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- UC Irvine ranks 12th in rebounds per game (40.7) while UC Riverside ranks 262nd in rebounds allowed per game (39.2).
- The Anteaters rank 31st in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while the Highlanders rank 109th (3.6).
- UC Irvine ranks 228th in three pointers attempted per game (19.0) while UC Riverside ranks 255th (17.6).
- UC Irvine is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, UC Riverside is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Anteaters have outscored opponents by an average of 4.4 points in their last five games. On the season, UC Irvine has been defeated by an average of 0.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Highlanders have scored an average of 62.4 points per game (4.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 69.8 points per game (0.7 below their season average).