The Texas-Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros (5-6) will be at home in UTRGV Fieldhouse when they square off against the UC Irvine Anteaters (4-7). Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 9, 2017.
UC Irvine Anteaters at Texas-Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros Betting Preview
In the Anteaters last contest, they lost a close one to the Utah State Aggies, 62-59. Jonathan Galloway had a good performance for UC Irvine, putting up five points and 11 rebounds. Utah State had a turnover percentage of 12.1 (better than their season average of 17.3). UC Irvine, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (37.5 vs. 30.0).
The Vaqueros will look to keep it rolling after topping the Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders in their last game, 82-78. Texas-Rio Grande Valley was lifted by Nick Dixon, who led the team in scoring with 24 points on 8-for-12 shooting. The Vaqueros forced 15 turnovers, while the Islanders had a free throw rate of 0.190 (below their season average of 0.228).
It will be a showdown of contrasting styles as the up-tempo Vaqueros (ranked sixth in the NCAA in possessions per game) will look to push the more grind-it-out Anteaters (182nd in possessions per game). Moreover, the Anteaters 49th-ranked defense (effective field goal percentage allowed of 0.469) will face off against the Vaqueros 281st-ranked offense (effective field goal percentage of 0.472).
UC Irvine Anteaters at Texas-Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Texas-Rio Grande Valley, ATS Winner – Texas-Rio Grande Valley, O/U – Under
- The Anteaters rank 31st in blocks per game (5.0) while the Vaqueros rank 193rd (3.9).
- UC Irvine averages 14.2 assists per game, which ranks 128th in the NCAA. Texas-Rio Grande Valley ranks 278th in assists allowed per game (13.5).
- UC Irvine ranks seventh in rebounds per game (42.8) while Texas-Rio Grande Valley ranks 296th in rebounds allowed per game (39.6).
- The Vaqueros average 24.0 three pointers per game, which ranks 41st in the NCAA. The Anteaters rank 262nd in three pointers allowed per game (23.7).
- UC Irvine ranks 19th in steals allowed per game (4.8) while Texas-Rio Grande Valley ranks 222nd (6.1).
- The Vaqueros average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 9.8, up from 4.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Anteaters have scored an average of 75.2 points per game (1.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 72.2 points per game (1.2 below their season average).