The UC Irvine Anteaters (4-8) look to snap their five-game road losing streak when they challenge the Saint Mary’s Gaels (8-2), who will attempt to lengthen their five-game home winning streak. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 16, 2017.
UC Irvine Anteaters at Saint Mary’s Gaels ATS Preview
In the Anteaters last game, they lost to the Texas-Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros, 73-59. UC Irvine’s Max Hazzard put together a solid game, leading the team in scoring with 16 points on 6-for-14 shooting. Texas-Rio Grande Valley had a turnover percentage of 10.9 (better than their season average of 17.1). UC Irvine, on the other hand, held the Vaqueros to an offensive rebounding percentage of 19.0 (below their season average of 29.0).
The Gaels come in on a high note after blowing out the Seattle Redhawks in their last outing, 97-73. Jock Landale played a pivotal role for Saint Mary’s with 20 points and 10 rebounds. Saint Mary’s played a nearly perfect game. They had a ridiculously low turnover percentage of 5.5 (better than their season average of 11.8) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.698 (above their season average of 0.576). For those same stats, Seattle recorded marks of 16.1 and 0.546, respectively.
This matchup pits one of the nation’s top offenses against one of its elite defenses as Saint Mary’s ranks 12th in effective field goal percentage (0.588) and UC Irvine is 54th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.466). Also, the Anteaters rank 27th in offensive rebounding percentage (36.3 percent), while the Gaels rank 31st in defensive rebounding percentage (76.0 percent).
Landale has really been playing well over the last five games for Saint Mary’s, averaging 24.6 points and 10.4 rebounds per game.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. The Gaels won the lone contest played against each other last season, 84-53. The Gaels dominated every facet of the game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.417 and an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 40.0. The Anteaters were 0.075 and 26.5, respectively, for those same stats.
UC Irvine Anteaters vs. Saint Mary’s Gaels Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Saint Mary’s, ATS Winner – Saint Mary’s, O/U – Over
- The Gaels rank 25th in assists per game (17.1) while the Anteaters rank 155th in assists allowed per game (14.0).
- Saint Mary’s allows the fourth-fewest steals per game (3.9) while UC Irvine ranks 50th (5.4).
- UC Irvine ranks seventh in rebounds per game (42.8) while Saint Mary’s ranks 248th (32.5).
- The Gaels rank seventh in three pointers allowed per game (16.5) while the Anteaters rank 188th (23.2).
- UC Irvine ranks 33rd in blocks per game (4.9) while Saint Mary’s ranks 190th (2.0).
- The Gaels average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.8, down from 13.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Anteaters have scored an average of 71.6 points per game (1.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 72.6 points per game (0.7 below their season average).