The UAPB Golden Lions (0-13) are off to a slow start and will try to get their first win when they challenge the UT Martin Skyhawks (4-8) at Skyhawk Arena. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Friday, December 22, 2017.
UAPB Golden Lions vs. UT Martin Skyhawks Free Preview
The Golden Lions got blown out by the No. 20 Cincinnati Bearcats in their last outing, 77-49. Travon Harper had a good performance for UAPB, leading the team in scoring with 16 points on 4-for-10 shooting. Cincinnati won the rebounding battle. The Bearcats had 14 offensive rebounds and 42 total rebounds, while the Golden Lions had six and 28, respectively.
The last time the Skyhawks played, they topped the Blue Mountain College Toppers, 84-76. UT Martin received a boost from Fatodd Lewis, who was the top scorer from either team with 25 points on 10-for-18 shooting. The Skyhawks had a turnover percentage of 13.5 (better than their season average of 18.7) and held the Toppers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.6 (below the 32.9 mark opponents have averaged against UT Martin this season).
Expect UT Martin to own the offensive glass in this contest. The Skyhawks are among the nations elite on the offensive glass, ranking 27th in offensive rebounding percentage at 32.1 percent. Meanwhile, UAPB ranks 339th in the NCAA at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 61.6 percent.
Matthew Butler has taken his game to another level over the last five games for UT Martin, averaging 20.4 points, 4.0 assists and 1.8 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Skyhawks won the lone game played against each other last season, 73-68. The Skyhawks played a nearly flawless game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.326 and a fantastic effective field goal percentage of 0.630. The Golden Lions recorded marks of 0.167 and 0.483, respectively, for those same stats.
UAPB Golden Lions at UT Martin Skyhawks Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – UAPB, ATS Winner – UAPB, O/U – Under
- The Skyhawks rank 81st in steals per game (8.2) while the Golden Lions rank 180th in steals allowed per game (8.5).
- UAPB is 12th in the NCAA with 2.1 blocks allowed per game while UT Martin is 47th with 2.7 blocks allowed per game.
- UAPB ranks 76th in three pointers allowed per game (20.4) while UT Martin ranks 253rd (30.2).
- The Skyhawks rank 107th in rebounds per game (35.6) while the Golden Lions rank 268th (26.2).
- UT Martin ranks 76th in assists per game (13.9) while UAPB ranks 234th (9.9).
- The Skyhawks have outscored opponents by an average of 4.6 points in their last five games. For the season, UT Martin has been defeated by an average of 2.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Golden Lions have scored an average of 58.0 points per game (0.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 81.6 points per game (3.9 above their season average).