SWAC foes will battle when the Alabama State Hornets (2-11, 2-1 SWAC) meet the UAPB Golden Lions (2-14, 2-0 SWAC) at Dunn-Oliver Acadome. Action begins at 6:30 p.m. ET on Monday, January 8, 2018.
UAPB Golden Lions at Alabama State Hornets Betting Preview
The Golden Lions beat the Alabama A&M Bulldogs in their last matchup, 69-62. Martaveous McKnight was the games high scorer with 29 points on 10-for-18 shooting. UAPB played a nearly perfect game. They had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 37.5 (above their season average of 22.0) and a turnover percentage of 16.1 (better than their season average of 20.6). For those same stats, Alabama A&M put up marks of 19.2 and 27.0, respectively.
The last time the Hornets played, they defeated the Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils, 63-46. Branden Johnson played a pivotal role for Alabama State with nine points and 15 rebounds. The Hornets had a solid free throw rate of 0.308 (above their season average of 0.218) and held the Delta Devils to an effective field goal percentage of 0.243 (below their season average of 0.405).
This has potential to be a sloppy game for the offense of Alabama State. Alabama State ranks 310th in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 21.7 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of UAPB forces the 41st-most turnovers in the nation (22.6 percent).
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Hornets won the most recent matchup 77-65. The Hornets dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.511 and a solid effective field goal percentage of 0.564. For those same stats, the Golden Lions put up marks of 0.150 and 0.467, respectively.
UAPB Golden Lions vs. Alabama State Hornets Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Alabama State, ATS Winner – Alabama State, O/U – Under
- The Hornets rank 195th in assists allowed per game (15.2) while the Golden Lions rank 230th (16.8).
- UAPB ranks fourth in blocks allowed per game (1.9) while Alabama State ranks 157th (4.5).
- The Golden Lions rank 47th in steals per game (7.6) while the Hornets rank 179th in steals allowed per game (7.8).
- Alabama State ranks 154th in rebounds per game (35.6) while UAPB ranks 275th (26.9).
- The Hornets average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 2.2, down from 17.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Golden Lions have scored an average of 68.0 points per game (7.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 76.0 points per game (0.1 below their season average).