SWAC foes will collide when the Alcorn State Braves (8-17, 4-8 SWAC) square off against the UAPB Golden Lions (9-17, 9-3 SWAC) at David L. Whitney Gymnasium. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Monday, February 12, 2018.
UAPB Golden Lions at Alcorn State Braves Free Preview
The Golden Lions fell to the Southern University Jaguars in their last contest, 70-62. Martaveous McKnight had a solid performance for UAPB, leading both teams in scoring with 23 points on 8-for-15 shooting. Southern University had an offensive rebounding percentage of 48.8 (above their season average of 32.1). UAPB, on the other hand, had an effective field goal percentage of 0.561 (above their season average of 0.492).
In the Braves last matchup, they beat the Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils, 94-90. Alcorn State was lifted by Dante Sterling, who was the top scorer from either team with 29 points on 7-for-20 shooting. The Braves knocked down 29 of their 34 free throws (85.3 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.560 (above their season average of 0.486).
It could be an error-filled game for the Alcorn State offense. Alcorn State ranks 281st in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 20.6 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of UAPB forces the 27th-most turnovers in the NCAA (22.6 percent).
McKnight has really been playing well over the last five games for UAPB, averaging 17.4 points, 5.6 rebounds, 5.4 assists and 2.2 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Golden Lions won 71-59. UAPB’s effective field goal percentage was its biggest advantage over Alcorn State. The Golden Lions had a rate of 0.529 while the Braves posted a mark of 0.389. McKnight scored a game-high 25 points.
UAPB Golden Lions vs. Alcorn State Braves Betting Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Alcorn State, ATS Winner – Alcorn State, O/U – Under
- The Braves rank 214th in rebounds per game (33.9) while the Golden Lions rank 287th (28.7).
- Alcorn State ranks 193rd in assists per game (12.6) while UAPB ranks 225th (12.0).
- UAPB ranks 58th in three pointers allowed per game (19.8) while Alcorn State ranks 227th (24.5).
- The Golden Lions rank 30th in steals per game (7.7) while the Braves rank 124th (6.3).
- UAPB ranks third in blocks allowed per game (1.9) while Alcorn State ranks 96th (3.3).
- The Braves average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 0.8, down from 5.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Golden Lions have scored an average of 65.8 points per game (0.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 64.8 points per game (7.6 below their season average).