Offense meets defense when the UAB Blazers (15-8, 6-4 CUSA) head to Old Dominion to take on the Monarchs (16-5, 7-2 CUSA). The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 135 points with Old Dominion opening as a 5.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 3, 2018.
UAB Blazers vs. Old Dominion Monarchs Odds Preview
In the Blazers last game, they defeated the Charlotte 49ers, 76-64. Chris Cokley was the top scorer from either team with 26 points on 10-for-12 shooting. UAB dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 14.9 (better than their season average of 15.9) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.508 (below their season average of 0.555). For those same stats, Charlotte put up marks of 18.2 and 0.438, respectively.
The Monarchs are hoping for a better outcome after their 66-59 loss to the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders in their last game. Randy Haynes led Old Dominion in scoring with 14 points on 5-for-17 shooting. Middle Tennessee had an offensive rebounding percentage of 43.3 (above their season average of 32.6). Old Dominion, on the other hand, forced the Blue Raiders into a turnover percentage of 19.6 (above their season average of 16.1).
Expect this one to be a clinic on boxing out as two of the NCAA’s top rebounding teams go head-to-head. The Monarchs rank 56th in offensive rebounding percentage (33.8 percent), while UAB ranks 31st in defensive rebounding percentage (75.6 percent). Also, the Blazers rank 43rd in offensive efficiency (113.4), while the Monarchs rank 19th in defensive efficiency (94.7).
William Lee has been playing at a high level over the last five games for UAB, averaging 10.2 points, 8.0 rebounds and 2.4 blocks per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after the Monarchs won the only game last season, 83-62. Old Dominion had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.750 vs. 0.466). UAB, meanwhile, had a much better free throw rate (0.477 vs. 0.160).
UAB Blazers vs. Old Dominion Monarchs Free Prediction
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Old Dominion, ATS Winner – Old Dominion, O/U – Over
- The Blazers rank 23rd in rebounds allowed per game (31.0) while the Monarchs rank 104th (33.8).
- Old Dominion ranks 37th in blocks per game (4.6) while UAB ranks 69th (3.9).
- Old Dominion ranks 10th in steals allowed per game (4.6) while UAB ranks 144th (6.7).
- The Monarchs rank 152nd in three pointers allowed per game (22.4) while the Blazers rank 255th (25.9).
- UAB averages 17.4 assists per game, which ranks 16th in the nation. Old Dominion ranks 107th in assists allowed per game (13.0).
- The Monarchs average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.4, down from 10.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Blazers have scored an average of 75.6 points per game (3.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 77.4 points per game (9.0 above their season average).