AAC foes will battle when the East Carolina Pirates (8-12, 2-7 AAC) take on the Tulane Green Wave (12-8, 3-5 AAC) at Williams Arena at Minges Coliseum. Tulane is a 5.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 146 points. Action starts at 6:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 31, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNews.
Tulane Green Wave vs. East Carolina Pirates ATS Preview
The Green Wave fell to the South Florida Bulls in their last game, 80-75. Tulane’s Samir Sehic had a good performance, leading both teams in scoring with 23 points on 8-for-11 shooting. South Florida had a free throw rate of 0.469 (above their season average of 0.231). Tulane, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 11.1 (better than their season average of 17.6).
In the Pirates last matchup, they were topped by the SMU Mustangs, 86-61. With 14 points, Shawn Williams put together a good game for East Carolina. SMU’s 0.127 free throw rate was their largest advantage over East Carolina, who had a mark of 0.071. The Mustangs mark was below their season average of 0.232, while the Pirates was below their season average of 0.217.
When looking at effective field goal percentage, Tulane figures to have a significant edge. The Green Wave defense ranks 97th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.486), while the East Carolina offense is ranked 314th in effective field goal percentage (0.472).
Of Tulane’s 15 games with betting action, eight have finished under the projected point total, while 8 of East Carolina’s 13 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Green Wave have a sizable advantage. They are 12-8 SU and 7-8 ATS, while the Pirates are 8-12 SU and 6-7 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Pirates won both meetings played against each other last season. In the most recent game, East Carolina won 76-73. The Pirates dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.224 and a great offensive rebounding percentage of 30.3. For those same stats, the Green Wave recorded marks of 0.172 and 25.6, respectively.
Tulane Green Wave at East Carolina Pirates Odds Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Tulane, ATS Winner – East Carolina, O/U – Over
- The Green Wave average 35.1 rebounds per game, which ranks 172nd in the NCAA. The Pirates rank 209th in rebounds allowed per game (36.8).
- Tulane is 4-4 ATS on the road, while East Carolina is 3-4 ATS at home.
- In 8 road games, the Green Wave have 5 unders and 3 overs.
- Of the Pirates 7 home games, they have 4 overs and 3 unders.
- Tulane ranks 36th in assists per game (16.4) while East Carolina ranks 213th in assists allowed per game (15.4).
- The Green Wave rank 119th in three pointers attempted per game (22.7) while the Pirates rank 238th (18.8).
- Tulane averages 4.7 blocks per game, which ranks 35th in the NCAA. East Carolina ranks 107th in blocks allowed per game (3.5).
- East Carolina is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Tulane is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Pirates average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 12.8, up from 6.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Green Wave have scored an average of 72.8 points per game (2.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 77.6 points per game (5.2 above their season average).