The Georgia Southern Eagles (19-11, 10-7 SBC) and Troy Trojans (15-15, 9-8 SBC) will clash at W.S. Hanner Fieldhouse to finish out the regular season. Tip-off is set for 5 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 3, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Troy Trojans vs. Georgia Southern Eagles Free Preview,
In the Trojans’ last game, they defeated the Georgia State Panthers, 83-70. Jordon Varnado was Troy’s leading scorer with 26 points on 10-for-19 shooting. Troy played a nearly flawless game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.356 (above their season average of 0.251) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 30.6 (above their season average of 26.5). For those same stats, Georgia State was 0.136 and 14.7, respectively.
The Eagles come in on a high note after topping the South Alabama Jaguars in their last contest, 81-74. Georgia Southern rallied around Montae Glenn, who finished with 17 points and 10 rebounds. Georgia Southern dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 12.4 (better than their season average of 13.7) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 32.4). South Alabama was 17.5 and 24.3, respectively, for those same stats.
Georgia Southern could put on a ball-control clinic in this showdown. Georgia Southern ranks 32nd in the NCAA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.2 percent), while Troy forces the 58th-fewest turnovers (16.8 percent).
These teams have already met once this season. The Eagles won 86-80. Georgia Southern’s rebounding was their largest strength. The Eagles had 16 offensive rebounds and 43 total rebounds, while the Trojans had nine and 27, respectively. Tookie Brown scored a game-high 31 points.
Troy Trojans at Georgia Southern Eagles Prediction
Free Pick: SU Winner – Georgia Southern, ATS Winner – Georgia Southern, O/U – Over
- The Trojans rank 31st in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while the Eagles rank 156th (3.8).
- Troy ranks 156th in assists per game (13.4) while Georgia Southern ranks 271st (10.2).
- Georgia Southern averages 38.5 rebounds per game, which ranks 42nd in the nation. Troy ranks 215th in rebounds allowed per game (36.6).
- The Trojans average 26.5 three pointers per game, which ranks 31st in the nation. The Eagles rank 184th in three pointers allowed per game (22.7).
- Georgia Southern ranks sixth in steals allowed per game (4.3) while Troy ranks 141st (6.4).
- The Eagles have been outscored by an average of 3.0 points in their last five games. On the season, Georgia Southern has defeated opponents by an average of 6.0 points.
- During their last five games, the Trojans have scored an average of 70.4 points per game (5.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 69.6 points per game (3.2 below their season average).