Offense meets defense when the Toronto Raptors (29-12) visit Philadelphia to take on the 76ers (19-20). Action begins at 1 p.m. ET on Monday, January 15, 2018, and it can be seen on The Sports Network.
Toronto Raptors at Philadelphia 76ers Odds Preview
The Raptors lost a close one to the Golden State Warriors in their last contest, 127-125. DeMar DeRozan put together a good performance for Toronto, leading both teams in scoring with 42 points on 17-for-31 shooting. Golden State had a turnover percentage of 6.0 (better than their season average of 14.0). Toronto, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 35.0 (above their season average of 22.9).
In the 76ers last matchup, they were beaten by the Boston Celtics, 114-103. With 15 points, 10 rebounds and five assists, Philadelphia’s Joel Embiid had a good outing. Boston held the 76ers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 7.9 (below their season average of 26.0). Philadelphia, meanwhile, did a fantastic job of converting from the charity stripe (16-18; 88.9 percent).
Baskets could be hard to come by as two of the leagues premier defenses square off. Philadelphia currently ranks fifth in defensive efficiency (103.9) and Toronto is fourth (103.8).
Of Toronto’s 41 games, 22 have finished over the O/U total, while 21 of Philadelphia’s 39 games have finished over the projected point total. The Raptors have the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (29-12 vs. 19-20) and a slight edge against the spread (ATS) (24-17 vs. 21-18).
Dario Saric has really been playing well over the last five games for Philadelphia, averaging 19.6 points, 7.0 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game.
These two teams have met three times already this year, with the Raptors winning all three. DeRozan scored a game-high 29 points in the most recent matchup, in which the Raptors beat the 76ers 102-86, covering as 7.5-point favorites. He also had five rebounds. The two teams combined to put up 188 points, which was 29.5 points below the projected point total of 217.5 points. The Raptors played a flawless game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.271 and a turnover percentage of 15.0. The 76ers put up marks of 0.163 and 19.9, respectively, for those same stats.
Toronto Raptors at Philadelphia 76ers Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – 76ers, ATS Winner – 76ers, O/U – Over
- The 76ers rank sixth in second chance points per game (13.9) while the Raptors rank 23rd in second chance points allowed per game (13.2).
- Philadelphia averages 46.8 points in the paint per game, which ranks eighth in the league. Toronto ranks 20th in points allowed in the paint per game (45.7).
- Philadelphia ranks first in rebounds per game (47.6) while Toronto ranks 17th (43.2).
- Toronto averages 14.0 fast break points per game, which ranks sixth in the league. Philadelphia ranks ninth in fast break points allowed per game (10.1).
- Toronto is 13-10 ATS on the road with 12 overs and 11 unders.
- At home, Philadelphia is 10-8 ATS with 10 unders and 8 overs.
- In games where they hold opponents under 100 points, Philadelphia is 6-0 and Toronto is 12-4.
- The 76ers are 18-13 when they reach the century mark, while the Raptors are 28-6.
- The Raptors rank fourth in three pointers allowed per game (25.9) while the 76ers rank 19th (29.4).
- Toronto ranks first in points off turnovers per game (19.2) while Philadelphia ranks 29th in points off turnovers allowed per game (19.3).
- The Raptors rank second in blocks per game (6.0) while the 76ers rank 27th in blocks allowed per game (5.6).
- The 76ers average 26.1 assists per game, which ranks third in the NBA. The Raptors rank 12th in assists allowed per game (22.3).
- Toronto ranks seventh in steals per game (8.4) while Philadelphia ranks 29th in steals allowed per game (9.3).
- Philadelphia is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Toronto is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The 76ers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.8, up from 0.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Raptors have scored an average of 118.0 points per game (5.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 107.8 points per game (3.5 above their season average).