The Detroit Pistons (29-35) will try to snap the five-game winning streak of Toronto when they welcome the Raptors (46-17) to Little Caesars Arena. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 213 points with Toronto opening as a 5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, March 7, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN.
Toronto Raptors vs. Detroit Pistons Free Preview
The Raptors were victorious over the Atlanta Hawks in their last outing, 106-90. DeMar DeRozan was the top scorer from either team with 25 points on 6-for-12 shooting. Toronto dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.5 (better than their season average of 11.5) and a free throw rate of 0.318 (above their season average of 0.205). Atlanta recorded marks of 19.0 and 0.200, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Pistons’ last matchup, they were topped by the Cleveland Cavaliers, 112-90. Blake Griffin was Detroit’s leading scorer with 25 points on 10-for-22 shooting. Cleveland had an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.6 (above their season average of 19.8). Detroit, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (10.5 vs. 12.8).
The inefficient offense of Detroit (22nd in the league with an offensive efficiency of 104.7) will go head-to-head against the elite defense of Toronto (third in the league with a defensive efficiency of 102.9). The Raptors figure to have the advantage on that side of the ball.
Of Toronto’s 62 games with betting action, 32 have finished over the projected point total, while 35 of Detroit’s 64 games have finished under the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Raptors have a substantial advantage. They are 46-17 SU and 35-27 ATS, while the Pistons are 29-35 SU and 27-35-2 ATS.
These two teams have already met twice this season, with the Raptors winning both. Andre Drummond put up 18 points and 18 rebounds in the most recent game, in which the Pistons lost 123-94, unable to cover as 10-point underdogs. The two teams combined for 217 points, which was just 0.5 points above the projected point total of 216.5 points. Toronto did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (22-23; 95.7 percent). Detroit, meanwhile, had a much better turnover percentage (11.2 vs. 16.6).
Toronto Raptors vs. Detroit Pistons Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Raptors, ATS Winner – Raptors, O/U – Under
- The Raptors rank second in three pointers allowed per game (25.0) while the Pistons rank 20th (30.0).
- Toronto ranks third in steals allowed per game (7.0) while Detroit ranks sixth (7.3).
- Detroit ranks second in fast break points allowed per game (9.3) while Toronto ranks 15th (11.7).
- Toronto ranks 16th in rebounds per game (43.5) while Detroit ranks 18th in rebounds allowed per game (43.4).
- Detroit is 13-19-1 ATS at home, while Toronto is 18-13 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 17 of the Raptors’ 31 road games, while 17 of the Pistons’ 33 home games have gone under.
- Detroit is 15-6 when they allow below 100 points, while Toronto is 23-5.
- The Raptors are 43-10 when they reach 100 points, while the Pistons are 26-15.
- The Raptors rank third in points off turnovers per game (18.4) while the Pistons rank 11th (16.9).
- Toronto ranks second in blocks per game (6.1) while Detroit ranks 28th (3.6).
- The Pistons rank fourth in second chance points allowed per game (11.1) while the Raptors rank 25th (13.3).
- The Pistons average 44.3 points in the paint per game, which ranks 14th in the league. The Raptors rank 17th in points allowed in the paint per game (44.9).
- Toronto ranks seventh in assists per game (23.7) while Detroit ranks 27th in assists allowed per game (24.8).
- Detroit is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Toronto is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Pistons’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 9.2, up from 1.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Raptors have scored an average of 110.2 points per game (1.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 96.2 points per game (6.9 below their season average).