The Dallas Mavericks (9-25) will attempt to put an end to the six-game winning streak of Toronto when they welcome the Raptors (23-8) to American Airlines Center. Toronto is a 5.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 207 points. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, December 26, 2017, and it can be seen on CTV Sportsnet Toronto.
Toronto Raptors at Dallas Mavericks Betting Preview
In the Raptors last outing, they defeated the Philadelphia 76ers, 102-86. DeMar DeRozan was the top scorer from either team with 29 points on 9-for-20 shooting. Toronto played a perfect game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.271 (above their season average of 0.212) and a turnover percentage of 15.0 (worse than their season average of 12.3). Philadelphia put up marks of 0.163 and 19.9, respectively, for those same stats.
The Mavericks are hoping for a better outcome after their 112-107 loss to the Atlanta Hawks in their last outing. With 15 points and 12 assists, Dallas J.J. Barea had a good outing. Atlanta did a terrific job of making free throws (18-22; 81.8 percent). Dallas, meanwhile, had a much better turnover percentage (9.8 vs. 15.2).
Dallas might struggle to put up points as they go head-to-head against one of the NBA’s best defenses. Toronto ranks fifth in defensive efficiency while the Mavericks rank 24th in offensive efficiency.
Of Toronto’s 31 games, 16 have finished under the projected point total, while 18 of Dallas 34 games have finished under the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Raptors have a significant advantage. They are 23-8 SU and 19-12 ATS, while the Mavericks are 9-25 SU and 15-19 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year. The Raptors won both games played against each other last season. In the most recent contest, Toronto won 94-86. Toronto made nine of their 21 three pointers (42.9 percent). Dallas was, meanwhile, 7-28 (25.0 percent).
Toronto Raptors vs. Dallas Mavericks Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Raptors, ATS Winner – Raptors, O/U – Under
- The Raptors rank third in blocks per game (5.5) while the Mavericks rank 26th (3.6).
- Dallas ranks fourth in second chance points allowed per game (10.7) while Toronto ranks 23rd (13.2).
- Toronto ranks fourth in rebounds allowed per game (40.9) while Dallas ranks 25th (45.2).
- Toronto ranks 10th in assists per game (23.0) while Dallas ranks 15th in assists allowed per game (22.4).
- On the road, Toronto is 11-7 ATS with 10 unders and 8 overs.
- Dallas is 8-10 ATS at home with 9 unders, 8 overs and 1 push.
- When holding opponents below 100 points, Toronto is 10-2 and Dallas is 8-8.
- When scoring more than 100 points, the Mavericks are 6-10 and the Raptors are 22-4.
- The Raptors rank fifth in steals per game (8.7) while the Mavericks rank 25th (6.7).
- Toronto ranks first in points off turnovers per game (20.6) while Dallas ranks last (13.2).
- The Raptors average 14.5 fast break points per game, which ranks fourth in the league. The Mavericks rank last in fast break points allowed per game (14.6).
- The Raptors rank fourth in three pointers allowed per game (26.0) while the Mavericks rank 14th (28.6).
- Toronto ranks fifth in points in the paint per game (47.9) while Dallas ranks last (37.8).
- Dallas is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Toronto is 5-0 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Mavericks’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 1.6, down from 3.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Raptors have scored an average of 114.6 points per game (3.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 97.2 points per game (5.2 below their season average).