The Charlotte Hornets (11-19) will be at home in Spectrum Center when they clash with the Toronto Raptors (20-8). Toronto is a 1-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 211.5 points. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 20, 2017, and it can be seen on CTV Sportsnet Toronto.
Toronto Raptors at Charlotte Hornets Free Preview
The Raptors defeated the Sacramento Kings in their last outing, 108-93. With 13 points and 16 rebounds, Jonas Valanciunas played well for Toronto. Toronto played a nearly flawless game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.271 (above their season average of 0.206) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 31.6 (above their season average of 21.6). For those same stats, Sacramento was 0.074 and 15.0, respectively.
In the Hornets last game, they thoroughly outplayed the New York Knicks, 109-91. Charlotte was lifted by Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, who finished with 15 points and 10 rebounds. The Hornets, who came into the game averaging an offensive rebounding percentage of 22.4, had a superb mark of 30.8 and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.540 (above their season average of 0.485).
The aggressive Charlotte offense seems poised to dominate from the foul line. The Hornets currently rank second in the league with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.233, while Toronto ranks 26th in FTA rate allowed (0.221). Also, the fifth-ranked defense of the Raptors (effective field goal percentage allowed of 0.504) will go head-to-head against the 30th-ranked offense of the Hornets (effective field goal percentage of 0.487).
Of Toronto’s 28 games, 15 have finished under the O/U total, while 17 of Charlotte’s 30 games have finished under the O/U total. The Raptors come into this game with considerably better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 20-8 SU and 16-12 ATS, while the Hornets are 11-19 SU and 12-16-2 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 239 points in that game, which was well over the projected point total of 205.5. The Raptors won 126-113, covering as 7-point favorites. The Raptors played a nearly perfect game. They had an absurdly low turnover percentage of 8.0 and a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 27.5. For those same stats, the Hornets were 11.3 and 20.0, respectively. Kyle Lowry was the games leading scorer with 36 points.
Toronto Raptors vs. Charlotte Hornets Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Raptors, ATS Winner – Raptors, O/U – Under
- The Raptors rank eighth in steals per game (8.4) while the Hornets rank 28th (6.3).
- Toronto ranks 10th in assists per game (23.0) while Charlotte ranks 26th (20.4).
- Charlotte ranks second in rebounds per game (47.1) while Toronto ranks 21st (42.0).
- Toronto ranks fourth in points in the paint per game (48.4) while Charlotte ranks 14th (43.6).
- On the road, Toronto is 9-7 ATS with 10 unders and 6 overs.
- Charlotte is 9-8 ATS at home with 11 unders and 6 overs.
- In games where they hold opponents under 100 points, Charlotte is 6-2 and Toronto is 9-2.
- The Hornets are 11-7 when they score above 100 points, while the Raptors are 19-4.
- The Raptors rank fourth in fast break points per game (14.9) while the Hornets rank 21st (9.4).
- Toronto ranks first in points off turnovers per game (19.7) while Charlotte ranks 24th (15.5).
- The Raptors rank third in three pointers allowed per game (26.0) while the Hornets rank 24th (30.8).
- The Raptors rank fourth in blocks per game (5.4) while the Hornets rank 19th (4.5).
- Charlotte ranks first in second chance points allowed per game (9.5) while Toronto ranks 22nd (13.3).
- Charlotte is 2-2-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Toronto is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Hornets have outscored opponents by an average of 2.2 points in their last five games. On the season, Charlotte has lost by an average of 1.5 points.
- During their last five games, the Raptors have scored an average of 107.2 points per game (3.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 94.4 points per game (8.1 below their season average).