The Atlanta Hawks (14-32) will be at home in Philips Arena when they go head-to-head with the Toronto Raptors (31-14). The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 215.5 points with Toronto set as a 6-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 24, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
Toronto Raptors at Atlanta Hawks Odds Preview
The Raptors were beaten by the Minnesota Timberwolves in their last matchup, 115-109. Kyle Lowry had a solid game for Toronto, leading both teams in scoring with 40 points on 14-for-25 shooting. Minnesota did a terrific job of making free throws (32-42; 76.2 percent). Toronto, meanwhile, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.542 vs. 0.512).
In the Hawks last matchup, they defeated the Utah Jazz, 104-90. Atlanta’s Taurean Prince played a key role with 17 points. The Hawks held the Jazz to an offensive rebounding percentage of 17.1 (below the 25.4 mark opponents have averaged against Atlanta this season) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.461 (below their season average of 0.519).
Atlanta might have difficulty finding the bottom of the net as they face off against one of the NBA’s best defenses. Toronto ranks fourth in defensive efficiency while the Hawks rank 23rd in offensive efficiency. Also, the Raptors commit the fourth-fewest errors in the NBA (turnover percentage of 12.9 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of the Hawks causes the most (opponents turnover percentage of 15.8 percent).
Of Toronto’s 45 games, 24 have finished over the projected point total, while 24 of Atlanta’s 46 games have finished under the O/U total. The Raptors have the superior straight up (SU) record (31-14 vs. 14-32), but both teams have similar against the spread (ATS) records. Toronto is 24-21 ATS, while Atlanta is 25-19-2 ATS.
These two teams have already met twice this season, with the Raptors winning both. Prince led both teams with 30 points in the most recent matchup, in which the Hawks lost 111-98, unable to cover as 11-point underdogs. The two teams combined for 209 points, which was 9 points below the projected point total of 218 points. The Raptors played a nearly flawless game. They had a superb turnover percentage of 9.2 and a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 35.8. For those same stats, the Hawks were 15.7 and 30.4, respectively.
Toronto Raptors at Atlanta Hawks Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Raptors, ATS Winner – Hawks, O/U – Under
- The Raptors rank 10th in assists allowed per game (22.1) while the Hawks rank 29th (25.6).
- Toronto averages 8.3 steals per game, which ranks ninth in the league. Atlanta ranks 24th in steals allowed per game (8.4).
- Atlanta ranks 11th in second chance points per game (12.9) while Toronto ranks 29th in second chance points allowed per game (13.7).
- Toronto ranks 15th in rebounds per game (43.3) while Atlanta ranks 25th (41.1).
- Toronto is 13-12 ATS on the road, while Atlanta is 13-10 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 11 of the Hawks 23 home games, while 14 of the Raptors 25 road games have gone over.
- When allowing under 100 points, Atlanta is 7-3 and Toronto is 14-4.
- When reaching 100 points, the Raptors are 28-8 and the Hawks are 13-18.
- The Raptors average 18.8 points off turnovers per game, which ranks first in the NBA. The Hawks rank 17th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.4).
- Toronto ranks second in blocks per game (5.9) while Atlanta ranks 25th (4.1).
- The Raptors rank fifth in points in the paint per game (48.1) while the Hawks rank 28th (40.7).
- The Raptors average 13.6 fast break points per game, which ranks seventh in the league. The Hawks rank 17th in fast break points allowed per game (11.8).
- Toronto ranks second in three pointers allowed per game (25.6) while Atlanta ranks 23rd (30.5).
- Atlanta is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Toronto is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Hawks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 0.6, down from 3.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Raptors have scored an average of 105.4 points per game (5.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 106.6 points per game (2.6 above their season average).