The Toronto Raptors (48-17) will attempt to extend their seven-game winning streak against the stumbling New York Knicks (24-42) at Madison Square Garden. Toronto is a 9.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 218 points. Action gets underway at 1 p.m. ET on Sunday, March 11, 2018, and it can be seen on CTV Sportsnet Toronto.
Toronto Raptors vs. New York Knicks Betting Preview
In the Raptors last contest, they barely escaped the Houston Rockets, 108-105. Kyle Lowry led Toronto in scoring with 30 points on 10-for-14 shooting. The Raptors had a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 29.3 (above their season average of 22.7) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.571 (above their season average of 0.536).
The Knicks are hoping for a better outcome after their 120-112 loss to the Milwaukee Bucks in their last matchup. Tim Hardaway Jr. was New York’s leading scorer with 26 points on 10-for-20 shooting. Milwaukee did an excellent job of converting from the charity stripe (30-39; 76.9 percent). New York, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (9.6 vs. 13.4).
New York might have difficulty scoring as they square off against one of the NBA’s best defenses. Toronto ranks fourth in defensive efficiency while the Knicks rank 25th in offensive efficiency. Furthermore, the Raptors rank fourth in turnover percentage (12.6 percent), while the Knicks rank 23rd in opponents turnover percentage (13.3 percent).
Of Toronto’s 65 games, 33 have finished over the O/U total, while 34 of New York’s 66 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Raptors have a significant advantage. They are 48-17 SU and 37-28 ATS, while the Knicks are 24-42 SU and 30-36 ATS.
These two teams have already met three times this year, with the Raptors winning two. Michael Beasley led both teams with 21 points in the most recent game, in which the Knicks lost 113-88, unable to cover as 14-point underdogs. The two teams combined to put up 201 points, which was 12.5 points below the projected point total of 213.5 points. The Raptors dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a phenomenally low turnover percentage of 7.3 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 19.1. The Knicks had marks of 14.2 and 10.4, respectively, for those same stats.
Toronto Raptors vs. New York Knicks ATS Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Raptors, ATS Winner – Raptors, O/U – Over
- The Raptors average 18.3 points off turnovers per game, which ranks third in the league. The Knicks rank 23rd in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.5).
- Toronto ranks seventh in assists per game (23.8) while New York ranks 19th in assists allowed per game (23.7).
- New York averages 13.6 second chance points per game, which ranks fifth in the NBA. Toronto ranks 25th in second chance points allowed per game (13.2).
- New York averages 44.0 rebounds per game, which ranks 12th in the NBA. Toronto ranks 16th in rebounds allowed per game (42.9).
- New York is 16-14 ATS at home, while Toronto is 18-14 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 15 of the Knicks 30 home games, while 18 of the Raptors 32 road games have gone over.
- When holding opponents below 100 points, New York is 11-3 and Toronto is 23-5.
- The Raptors are 45-10 when they score over 100 points, while the Knicks are 23-22.
- The Raptors average 6.0 blocks per game, which ranks second in the league. The Knicks rank 14th in blocks allowed per game (4.8).
- Toronto ranks third in three pointers attempted per game (32.9) while New York ranks last (22.3).
- The Raptors rank seventh in steals per game (8.2) while the Knicks rank 29th (6.8).
- The Knicks average 46.7 points in the paint per game, which ranks seventh in the league. The Raptors rank 17th in points allowed in the paint per game (45.2).
- Toronto ranks eighth in fast break points per game (13.8) while New York ranks 29th (8.0).
- New York is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Toronto is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Knicks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 14.4, up from 3.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Raptors have scored an average of 108.0 points per game (3.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 101.4 points per game (2.0 below their season average).