The Minnesota Timberwolves (29-18) can continue an eight-game home winning streak when they clash with the Toronto Raptors (31-13) at Target Center. Minnesota opened as a 3-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 215.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 9 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 20, 2018, and it can be seen on The Sports Network.
Toronto Raptors at Minnesota Timberwolves Odds Preview
In the Raptors last matchup, they edged the San Antonio Spurs, 86-83. With 21 points, seven rebounds and six assists, Toronto’s DeMar DeRozan put together a solid game. Toronto’s 0.453 effective field goal percentage was their largest strength over San Antonio, who had a rate of 0.368. The Raptors mark was below their season average of 0.533, while the Spurs was below their season average of 0.511.
The Timberwolves are hoping for a better outcome after their 116-98 loss to the Houston Rockets in their last matchup. With 22 points, 16 rebounds and five blocks, Karl-Anthony Towns had a good performance for Minnesota. Houston held the Timberwolves to an offensive rebounding percentage of 19.0 (below their season average of 25.0). Minnesota, meanwhile, had a better free throw rate (0.173 vs. 0.170).
This matchup pits one of the NBA’s top offenses against one of its elite defenses. Minnesota ranks third in offensive efficiency and Toronto is third in defensive efficiency. Furthermore, the Raptors commit the fourth-fewest errors in the league (turnover percentage of 12.9 percent), while the disruptive defense of the Timberwolves causes the most (opponents turnover percentage of 15.8 percent).
Of Toronto’s 43 games that accepted bets, 23 have finished over the projected point total, while 23 of Minnesota’s 47 games have finished over the O/U total. The Raptors hold a significant advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 31-13 SU and 24-19 ATS, while the Timberwolves are 29-18 SU and 22-23-2 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Timberwolves won the last matchup 112-109. The Timberwolves played a nearly perfect game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.338 and a fantastically low turnover percentage of 7.9. For those same stats, the Raptors put up marks of 0.177 and 12.9, respectively.
Toronto Raptors at Minnesota Timberwolves Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Raptors, ATS Winner – Raptors, O/U – Over
- The Timberwolves average 48.0 points in the paint per game, which ranks sixth in the NBA. The Raptors rank 22nd in points allowed in the paint per game (45.9).
- Minnesota ranks first in steals allowed per game (6.5) while Toronto ranks 10th (7.4).
- Toronto ranks eighth in fast break points per game (13.6) while Minnesota ranks 19th in fast break points allowed per game (12.3).
- Minnesota ranks fourth in rebounds allowed per game (41.3) while Toronto ranks 11th (42.5).
- Minnesota is 11-12-1 ATS at home, while Toronto is 13-11 ATS on the road.
- In 24 road games, the Raptors have 13 overs and 11 unders.
- Of the Timberwolves 24 home games, they have 12 overs, 11 unders and 1 push.
- When allowing under 100 points, Minnesota and Toronto are both 14-4.
- In games where they score more than 100 points, the Raptors are 28-7 and the Timberwolves are 27-9.
- The Raptors rank first in points off turnovers per game (19.0) while the Timberwolves rank 11th in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.6).
- Toronto ranks fifth in three pointers attempted per game (31.8) while Minnesota ranks 29th (22.6).
- The Raptors rank second in blocks per game (5.9) while the Timberwolves rank 23rd (4.3).
- The Raptors rank 13th in assists per game (22.6) while the Timberwolves rank 21st in assists allowed per game (23.7).
- Minnesota ranks third in second chance points per game (14.3) while Toronto ranks 24th in second chance points allowed per game (13.6).
- Minnesota is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Toronto is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Timberwolves average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.8, up from 3.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Raptors have scored an average of 110.2 points per game (1.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 103.4 points per game (0.4 below their season average).