The Los Angeles Clippers (9-15) look to snap the six-game winning streak of Toronto when they welcome the Raptors (17-7) to Staples Center. Toronto is a 5.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 215 points. Action begins at 10:30 p.m. ET on Monday, December 11, 2017, and it can be seen on NBATV.
Toronto Raptors at Los Angeles Clippers Betting Preview
The Raptors defeated the Sacramento Kings in their last contest, 102-87. With 15 points, 12 rebounds and six assists, Toronto’s Kyle Lowry had a solid game. Toronto played a nearly perfect game. They had a turnover percentage of 12.0 (better than their season average of 12.7) and a free throw rate of 0.149 (matching their season average). Sacramento put up marks of 21.0 and 0.096, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Clippers last game, they defeated the Washington Wizards, 113-112. With 35 points on 11-for-20 shooting, Lou Williams was the top scorer from either team. The Clippers knocked down 21 of their 24 free throws (87.5 percent) and had a turnover percentage of 9.9 (better than their season average of 13.4).
This has potential to be a mistake-prone game for the offense of Los Angeles. Los Angeles ranks 18th in the NBA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 14.7 percent), while the disruptive defense of Toronto forces the sixth-most turnovers in the league (15.4 percent). Moreover, the third-ranked offense of the Raptors (offensive efficiency of 111.9) will try to exploit the 28th-ranked defense of the Clippers (defensive efficiency of 109.2).
Of Toronto’s 24 games, 12 have finished over the projected point total, while 12 of Los Angeles 24 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Raptors have a clear advantage. They are 17-7 SU and 14-10 ATS, while the Clippers are 9-15 SU and 10-14 ATS.
Williams has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Los Angeles, averaging 25.2 points and 6.4 assists per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the most recent game, the Raptors won 118-109. The Raptors dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.310 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.8. For those same stats, the Clippers had marks of 0.133 and 20.0, respectively.
Toronto Raptors at Los Angeles Clippers Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Raptors, ATS Winner – Raptors, O/U – Over
- The Raptors rank first in points off turnovers per game (20.2) while the Clippers rank 17th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.6).
- Toronto ranks fifth in rebounds allowed per game (40.9) while Los Angeles ranks 18th (43.8).
- Toronto ranks fifth in fast break points per game (14.3) while Los Angeles ranks 21st in fast break points allowed per game (12.0).
- Toronto ranks fourth in points in the paint per game (48.2) while Los Angeles ranks 10th (45.8).
- Toronto is 9-5 ATS on the road with 9 unders and 5 overs.
- At home, Los Angeles is 5-7 ATS with 7 overs, 4 unders and 1 push.
- In games where they allow under 100 points, Los Angeles is 5-1 and Toronto is 7-1.
- The Raptors are 16-4 when they reach 100 points, while the Clippers are 8-11.
- The Raptors average 5.4 blocks per game, which ranks sixth in the NBA. The Clippers rank 19th in blocks allowed per game (5.0).
- Toronto ranks fifth in assists per game (23.5) while Los Angeles ranks 26th (20.5).
- The Raptors rank seventh in steals per game (8.4) while the Clippers rank 25th in steals allowed per game (8.5).
- The Raptors rank third in three pointers allowed per game (25.8) while the Clippers rank 14th (28.4).
- Los Angeles averages 13.7 second chance points per game, which ranks seventh in the NBA. Toronto ranks 24th in second chance points allowed per game (13.4).
- Los Angeles is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Toronto is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Clippers average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 11.2, up from 2.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Raptors have scored an average of 118.0 points per game (6.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 107.0 points per game (3.5 above their season average).