The Chicago Bulls (13-24) will be at home in United Center when they challenge the Toronto Raptors (25-10). Toronto is a 5-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 216 points. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018, and it can be seen on NBC Sports Chicago.
Toronto Raptors at Chicago Bulls ATS Preview
The Raptors beat the Milwaukee Bucks in their last game, 131-127. DeMar DeRozan was the games high scorer with 52 points on 17-for-29 shooting. Toronto played a nearly flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.2 (better than their season average of 12.1) and a free throw rate of 0.297 (above their season average of 0.212). Milwaukee put up marks of 11.7 and 0.280, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Bulls last matchup, they were topped by the Portland Trail Blazers, 124-120. With 18 points and 10 rebounds, Nikola Mirotic played well for Chicago. Portland had a turnover percentage of 6.5 (better than their season average of 13.0). Chicago, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 28.3 (above their season average of 20.0).
Chicago might struggle to score as they battle against one of the leagues best defenses. Toronto currently ranks fifth in defensive efficiency, while the Bulls rank 29th in offensive efficiency.
Of Toronto’s 35 games, 18 have finished under the O/U total, while 20 of Chicago’s 37 games have finished over the projected point total. The Raptors have the better straight up (SU) record (25-10 vs. 13-24), but both teams have similar against the spread (ATS) records. Toronto is 20-15 ATS, while Chicago is 21-13-3 ATS.
These two teams have already met twice this year, with the Raptors winning both. In the most recent contest, the Bulls lost 119-114 but covered as 11.5-point underdogs. Bobby Portis had 21 points and 13 rebounds. The two teams combined to put up 233 points, which was 32.5 points above the projected point total of 200.5 points. Toronto’s 0.623 effective field goal percentage was its largest advantage over Chicago, who had a mark of 0.569.
Toronto Raptors vs. Chicago Bulls Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Raptors, ATS Winner – Raptors, O/U – Under
- The Raptors rank third in three pointers allowed per game (25.9) while the Bulls rank 22nd (30.0).
- Toronto ranks fifth in steals per game (8.8) while Chicago ranks 23rd (7.0).
- Chicago ranks seventh in second chance points allowed per game (11.3) while Toronto ranks 26th (13.5).
- Toronto ranks sixth in fast break points per game (14.1) while Chicago ranks 17th in fast break points allowed per game (11.2).
- Toronto is 11-9 ATS on the road, while Chicago is 10-6-2 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 11 of the Bulls 18 home games, while 11 of the Raptors 20 road games have gone under.
- Chicago is 5-5 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Toronto is 11-3.
- The Raptors are 24-5 when they score above 100 points, while the Bulls are 11-9.
- The Raptors rank seventh in rebounds allowed per game (41.9) while the Bulls rank 26th (45.5).
- Toronto ranks first in points off turnovers per game (19.5) while Chicago ranks 29th (14.1).
- The Raptors rank second in blocks per game (5.9) while the Bulls rank 29th (3.6).
- The Raptors rank 11th in assists per game (22.9) while the Bulls rank 27th in assists allowed per game (24.5).
- Toronto ranks fifth in points in the paint per game (47.7) while Chicago ranks 25th (40.2).
- Chicago is 4-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Toronto is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Bulls have outscored opponents by an average of 3.6 points in their last five games. For the season, Chicago has been defeated by an average of 5.5 points.
- During their last five games, the Raptors have scored an average of 108.8 points per game (2.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 106.6 points per game (3.1 above their season average).