The Charlotte Hornets (23-32) will be at home in Spectrum Center when they clash with the Toronto Raptors (38-16). Toronto is a 3.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 215 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 1 p.m. ET on Sunday, February 11, 2018, and it can be seen on The Sports Network.
Toronto Raptors at Charlotte Hornets Betting Preview
The last time the Raptors played, they had no trouble getting past the New York Knicks, 113-88. Jonas Valanciunas led Toronto in scoring with 18 points on 7-for-12 shooting. Toronto played a nearly flawless game. They had a fantastically low turnover percentage of 7.3 (better than their season average of 11.7) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 19.1 (below their season average of 23.6). For those same stats, New York was 14.2 and 10.4, respectively.
The Hornets are trying to rebound after their 106-94 loss to the Utah Jazz in their last outing. Kemba Walker was Charlotte’s high scorer with 19 points on 8-for-19 shooting. Utah held the Hornets to an offensive rebounding percentage of 10.6 (below their season average of 22.8). Charlotte, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (7.0 vs. 11.6).
The aggressive Charlotte offense could be getting to the free throw line a lot in this meeting. The Hornets currently rank second in the league with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.229, while Toronto ranks 27th in FTA rate allowed (0.219). Also, the third-ranked defense of the Raptors (effective field goal percentage allowed of 0.498) will face off against the 29th-ranked offense of the Hornets (effective field goal percentage of 0.497).
Of Toronto’s 54 games, 27 have finished over the projected point total, while 27 of Charlotte’s 55 games have finished over the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Raptors have a sizable advantage. They are 38-16 SU and 30-24 ATS, while the Hornets are 23-32 SU and 21-30-4 ATS.
Nicolas Batum has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Charlotte, averaging 17.8 points, 6.0 rebounds, 5.4 assists and 1.4 steals per game.
These two teams have already met twice this year, with the Raptors winning both. In the most recent game, the Hornets lost 129-111, unable to cover as 2-point underdogs. Jeremy Lamb led both teams with 32 points. The two teams combined for 240 points, which was 28 points above the projected point total of 212 points. Toronto was lights out from beyond the arc (16-33; 48.5 percent). Charlotte, meanwhile, did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (26-35; 74.3 percent).
Toronto Raptors at Charlotte Hornets Prediction
NBA Pick: SU Winner – Raptors, ATS Winner – Raptors, O/U – Over
- The Raptors rank sixth in steals per game (8.3) while the Hornets rank 26th (6.9).
- Toronto ranks fourth in points off turnovers per game (18.4) while Charlotte ranks 18th (16.1).
- Toronto ranks first in three pointers allowed per game (25.1) while Charlotte ranks 21st (29.7).
- Toronto ranks sixth in points in the paint per game (48.2) while Charlotte ranks 13th in points allowed in the paint per game (43.8).
- Charlotte is 13-15-1 ATS at home, while Toronto is 14-13 ATS on the road.
- The Raptors have 15 overs and 12 unders in 27 road games.
- The Hornets have 15 unders and 14 overs in 29 home games.
- Charlotte is 8-3 when they allow less than 100 points, while Toronto is 18-5.
- When scoring more than 100 points, the Raptors are 35-9 and the Hornets are 22-13.
- The Raptors rank 11th in assists per game (23.0) while the Hornets rank 28th (20.7).
- Charlotte ranks first in second chance points allowed per game (9.7) while Toronto ranks 26th (13.5).
- The Raptors average 5.9 blocks per game, which ranks second in the NBA. The Hornets rank 23rd in blocks allowed per game (5.1).
- The Hornets rank third in rebounds per game (45.7) while the Raptors rank 15th (43.6).
- Toronto ranks sixth in fast break points per game (13.9) while Charlotte ranks 27th (9.1).
- Charlotte is 1-4 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Toronto is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Hornets average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 4.6, up from 0.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Raptors have scored an average of 114.8 points per game (3.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 98.4 points per game (4.9 below their season average).