The Western Michigan Broncos (11-8, 3-3 MAC) will attempt to put an end to the five-game winning streak of Toledo when they welcome the Rockets (13-6, 5-1 MAC) to University Arena in Read Fieldhouse. Toledo is a 1-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 150 points. Tip-off is set for 12 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 23, 2018.
Toledo Rockets at Western Michigan Broncos Odds Preview
In the Rockets last outing, they beat the Kent State Golden Flashes, 72-65. Tre’Shaun Fletcher led Toledo in scoring with 17 points on 6-for-17 shooting. Toledo dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.230 (matching their season average) and a turnover percentage of 8.0 (better than their season average of 16.2). For those same stats, Kent State was 0.093 and 14.5, respectively.
The Broncos are hoping for a better outcome after their 84-74 loss to the Buffalo Bulls in their last game. Josh Davis led Western Michigan in scoring with 16 points on 6-for-13 shooting. Buffalo held the Broncos to an offensive rebounding percentage of 14.6 (below their season average of 31.6). Western Michigan, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (19-27; 70.4 percent).
Western Michigan could put on a ball-control clinic in this showdown. Western Michigan ranks 33rd in the NCAA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.4 percent), while Toledo forces the third-fewest turnovers (14.8 percent).
Of Toledo’s 16 games that accepted bets, eight have finished over the projected point total, while 9 of Western Michigan’s 16 games have finished under the O/U total. The Rockets hold a significant advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 13-6 SU and 8-8 ATS, while the Broncos are 11-8 SU and 7-9 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 145 points, which was under the projected point total of 151. The Rockets won 84-61, covering as 5-point favorites. Toledo’s 0.362 free throw rate was their biggest advantage over Western Michigan, who had a mark of 0.157. In the loss, Thomas Wilder recorded a double-double with 28 points and 10 rebounds.
Toledo Rockets vs. Western Michigan Broncos ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Toledo, ATS Winner – Toledo, O/U – Under
- The Rockets average 37.3 rebounds per game, which ranks 89th in the NCAA. The Broncos rank 153rd in rebounds allowed per game (35.5).
- Western Michigan ranks 32nd in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while Toledo ranks 89th (3.4).
- On the road, Toledo is 5-4 ATS with 5 unders and 4 overs.
- Western Michigan is 2-4 ATS at home with 3 overs and 3 unders.
- Toledo averages 24.3 three pointers per game, which ranks 72nd in the NCAA. Western Michigan ranks 263rd in three pointers allowed per game (25.8).
- The Rockets rank 37th in assists allowed per game (11.3) while the Broncos rank 118th (13.2).
- Western Michigan ranks 19th in steals allowed per game (4.9) while Toledo ranks 88th (6.1).
- Western Michigan is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Toledo is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Broncos have been outscored by an average of 3.0 points in their last five games. On the season, Western Michigan has defeated opponents by an average of 3.2 points.
- During their last five games, the Rockets have scored an average of 81.4 points per game (1.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 66.0 points per game (8.8 below their season average).