MAC foes will battle when the Buffalo Bulls (7-3) take on the Toledo Rockets (8-5) at Alumni Arena. Buffalo is a 6-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 162 points. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 2, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
Toledo Rockets at Buffalo Bulls Free Preview
The last time the Rockets played, they were victorious over the Penn Quakers, 85-72. Tre’Shaun Fletcher was the top scorer from either team with 21 points on 9-for-17 shooting. Toledo played a nearly flawless game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.281 (above their season average of 0.252) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.605 (above their season average of 0.534). Penn had marks of 0.123 and 0.492, respectively, for those same stats.
The Bulls hope to keep it rolling after beating the NJIT Highlanders in their last outing, 86-81. CJ Massinburg played a key role for Buffalo with 20 points and 10 rebounds. Buffalo played a nearly flawless game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.304 (above their season average of 0.193) and a turnover percentage of 12.9 (better than their season average of 17.1). NJIT was 0.197 and 14.2, respectively, for those same stats.
Buffalo may have difficulty getting to the foul line in this matchup. The Bulls rank 174th in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.205, while Toledo ranks 49th in FTA rate allowed (0.183).
Games involving these teams have a tendency to go over the O/U total. Toledo games have finished over 60.0 percent of the time, while 60.0 percent of Buffalo games have gone over. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Bulls have a sizable advantage. They are 7-3 SU and 5-5 ATS, while the Rockets are 8-5 SU and 5-5 ATS.
Massinburg has been exceptional over the last five games for Buffalo, averaging 20.0 points, 10.2 rebounds and 1.4 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Rockets won the lone game last season, 86-54. The Rockets played a nearly flawless game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.283 and a solid effective field goal percentage of 0.575. For those same stats, the Bulls had marks of 0.119 and 0.343, respectively.
Toledo Rockets vs. Buffalo Bulls Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Buffalo, ATS Winner – Toledo, O/U – Over
- The Rockets rank 74th in assists per game (15.3) while the Bulls rank 86th in assists allowed per game (11.6).
- Toledo is 3-3 ATS on the road with 4 unders and 2 overs.
- Buffalo is 1-2 ATS at home with 2 unders and 1 over.
- Buffalo ranks 33rd in rebounds per game (39.7) while Toledo ranks 148th in rebounds allowed per game (35.8).
- The Bulls rank 88th in three pointers attempted per game (27.9) while the Rockets rank 175th in three pointers allowed per game (23.2).
- Toledo ranks 87th in blocks per game (3.7) while Buffalo ranks 115th in blocks allowed per game (5.3).
- Buffalo is 1-1 ATS with 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Toledo is 2-2 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under.
- The Bulls average margin of victory in their last five games has been 6.4, up from 5.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Rockets have scored an average of 80.2 points per game (2.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 72.2 points per game (3.7 below their season average).