MAC foes will collide when the Ohio Bobcats (8-8, 1-3 MAC) meet the Toledo Rockets (11-6, 3-1 MAC) at Convocation Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 155 points with neither team favored. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 16, 2018.
Toledo Rockets vs. Ohio Bobcats Free Preview
In the Rockets last contest, they beat the Central Michigan Chippewas, 93-82. Tre’Shaun Fletcher was Toledo’s leading scorer with 22 points on 8-for-13 shooting. Toledo dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 36.4 (above their season average of 26.2) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.596 (above their season average of 0.556). For those same stats, Central Michigan was 31.3 and 0.536, respectively.
The Bobcats are trying to rebound after their 70-69 loss to the Kent State Golden Flashes in their last outing. Teyvion Kirk led Ohio in scoring with 17 points on 6-for-12 shooting. Kent State held the Bobcats to an offensive rebounding percentage of 17.2 (below their season average of 22.8). Ohio, meanwhile, had an effective field goal percentage of 0.557 (above their season average of 0.502).
It will be a matchup of contrasting paces as the up-and-down Bobcats (ranked 23rd in the nation in possessions per game) will look to push the more half-court-oriented Rockets (154th in possessions per game). Furthermore, the Rockets, who rank 255th in offensive rebounding percentage (26.8 percent), will face off against the Bobcats, who rank 41st in defensive rebounding percentage (75.2 percent).
Both of these teams tend to finish over the O/U total. Games including Toledo have finished over 57.1 percent of the time, while Ohio games have gone over 63.6 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Rockets have a clear advantage. They are 11-6 SU and 7-7 ATS, while the Bobcats are 8-8 SU and 4-5-2 ATS.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Rockets, it’s been Jaelan Sanford, who has averaged 19.0 points and 1.2 steals, while the Bobcats have gotten great contributions from Kirk (14.8 points, 7.8 rebounds and 3.4 assists).
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after splitting two games last season. In the last game, the Bobcats won 67-66. Ohio had a better turnover percentage (10.9 vs. 13.9). Toledo, on the other hand, had a better free throw rate (0.123 vs. 0.065).
Toledo Rockets at Ohio Bobcats Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Toledo, ATS Winner – Toledo, O/U – Under
- The Rockets average 4.0 blocks per game, which ranks 74th in the NCAA. The Bobcats rank 109th in blocks allowed per game (3.8).
- Toledo ranks 48th in assists allowed per game (11.7) while Ohio ranks 82nd (12.6).
- Ohio is 2-2 ATS at home, while Toledo is 4-4 ATS on the road.
- Of the Rockets 8 road games, they have 4 overs and 4 unders.
- Of the Bobcats 4 home games, they have 2 overs and 2 unders.
- Toledo averages 24.6 three pointers per game, which ranks 67th in the nation. Ohio ranks 227th in three pointers allowed per game (25.0).
- The Rockets rank 111th in rebounds per game (36.8) while the Bobcats rank 240th in rebounds allowed per game (38.8).
- Ohio ranks 49th in steals allowed per game (5.4) while Toledo ranks 111th (6.5).
- Ohio is 1-2-1 ATS with 4 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Toledo is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Bobcats have been outscored by an average of 3.2 points in their last five games. For the season, Ohio has defeated opponents by an average of 1.8 points.
- During their last five games, the Rockets have scored an average of 84.6 points per game (4.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 76.8 points per game (0.4 above their season average).