Expect a defensive struggle when the Texas Longhorns (11-6, 2-3 Big 12) and the No. 8 Texas Tech Red Raiders (15-2, 4-1 Big 12) square off at Frank Erwin Special Events Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 131 points with Texas Tech set as a 3-point favorite. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 17, 2018.
Texas Tech Red Raiders at Texas Longhorns ATS Preview
The Red Raiders barely escaped the No. 2 West Virginia Mountaineers in their last contest, 72-71. Keenan Evans was Texas Tech’s high scorer with 20 points on 6-for-10 shooting. The Red Raiders made 24 of their 28 free throws (85.7 percent) and had a better effective field goal percentage (0.545 vs. 0.483).
In the Longhorns last matchup, they were beaten by the Oklahoma State Cowboys, 65-64. With 11 points and 10 rebounds, Mohamed Bamba played well for Texas. Oklahoma State had a turnover percentage of 9.9 (better than their season average of 15.6). Texas, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 44.1 (above their season average of 29.9).
Baskets could be hard to come by in this contest between a pair of the nations premier defenses. Texas ranks 28th in defensive efficiency (94.0) and Texas Tech is third (86.5).
Games featuring these teams have a tendency to finish under the O/U total. Texas Tech games have gone under 69.2 percent of the time, while 61.5 percent of Texas games have gone under. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Red Raiders have a clear advantage. They are 15-2 SU and 8-5 ATS, while the Longhorns are 11-6 SU and 6-7 ATS.
Bamba has really been playing well over the last five games for Texas, averaging 14.8 points, 12.0 rebounds and 5.6 blocks per game.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year. The Longhorns won two out of three matchups played against each other last season. In the most recent matchup, Texas won 61-52. Converting at the free throw line was one of Texas largest strengths. They were 16-20 (80.0 percent), while the Red Raiders were just 5-8 (62.5 percent).
Texas Tech Red Raiders at Texas Longhorns Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Texas Tech, ATS Winner – Texas Tech, O/U – Under
- The Red Raiders allow the third-fewest assists per game (9.2) while the Longhorns rank 36th (11.2).
- Texas ranks 115th in three pointers attempted per game (22.7) while Texas Tech ranks 144th in three pointers allowed per game (22.2).
- Texas Tech is 3-2 ATS on the road with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- At home, Texas is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- Texas Tech ranks 13th in rebounds allowed per game (30.5) while Texas ranks 189th (36.5).
- The Red Raiders rank 16th in steals per game (8.6) while the Longhorns rank 128th (6.1).
- Texas ranks ninth in blocks per game (6.1) while Texas Tech ranks 56th (4.4).
- Texas is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Texas Tech is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Longhorns have been outscored by an average of 2.2 points in their last five games. For the season, Texas has defeated opponents by an average of 7.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Red Raiders have scored an average of 74.6 points per game (5.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 66.0 points per game (5.2 above their season average).