The TCU Horned Frogs (16-6, 4-5 Big 12) welcome the No. 10 Texas Tech Red Raiders (18-4, 6-3 Big 12) in a matchup that pits phenomenal offense against stifling defense. Tip-off is set for 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 3, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Texas Tech Red Raiders vs. TCU Horned Frogs Odds Preview
In the Red Raiders last matchup, they edged the Texas Longhorns, 73-71. Keenan Evans was the games leading scorer with 38 points on 9-for-13 shooting. The Red Raiders had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.462 (above their season average of 0.280) and held the Longhorns to an effective field goal percentage of 0.446 (below their season average of 0.502).
The Horned Frogs hope to maintain momentum after topping the Oklahoma State Cowboys in their last game, 79-66. TCU was led by Kenrich Williams, who had 13 points, nine rebounds and six assists. The Horned Frogs held the Cowboys to an offensive rebounding percentage of 17.1 (below their season average of 33.5) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.630 (above their season average of 0.576).
The game should be a showdown of strength against strength as the prolific offense of TCU takes on the stingy defense of Texas Tech. The Horned Frogs rank eighth in offensive efficiency, while the Red Raiders are third in defensive efficiency. Additionally, the Red Raiders are among the nations best on the offensive backboards, ranking 55th in offensive rebounding percentage (33.9 percent). The Horned Frogs, meanwhile, rank 47th at grabbing defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 74.8 percent.
Vladimir Brodziansky has been playing at a high level over the last five games for TCU, averaging 18.2 points, 6.0 rebounds and 2.2 blocks per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. The Horned Frogs won the most recent matchup 62-61. The Horned Frogs played a nearly perfect game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.310 and a solid effective field goal percentage of 0.583. The Red Raiders put up marks of 0.102 and 0.466, respectively, for those same stats.
Texas Tech Red Raiders vs. TCU Horned Frogs Odds Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Texas Tech, ATS Winner – Texas Tech, O/U – Under
- The Horned Frogs are ninth in the NCAA with 30.1 rebounds allowed per game while the Red Raiders are 28th with 31.3 rebounds allowed per game.
- TCU averages 22.2 three pointers per game, which ranks 134th in the NCAA. Texas Tech ranks 135th in three pointers allowed per game (22.0).
- Texas Tech ranks sixth in assists allowed per game (9.7) while TCU ranks 239th (16.1).
- The Red Raiders rank 52nd in blocks per game (4.3) while the Horned Frogs rank 147th in blocks allowed per game (4.0).
- Texas Tech ranks 22nd in steals per game (8.0) while TCU ranks 91st in steals allowed per game (6.0).
- The Horned Frogs average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.4, down from 9.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Red Raiders have scored an average of 65.6 points per game (10.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 68.2 points per game (5.7 above their season average).