The Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns (26-5, 16-2 SBC) and the Texas State Bobcats (15-17, 8-11 SBC) battle in the Sun Belt Conference Tourney at Lakefront Arena. Action gets underway at 12:30 p.m. ET on Friday, March 9, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Texas State Bobcats vs. Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns Free Preview
The Bobcats defeated the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers in their last matchup, 73-66. Nijal Pearson led Texas State in scoring with 20 points on 6-for-15 shooting. Texas State dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.386 (above their season average of 0.237) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 41.7 (above their season average of 32.7). For those same stats, Coastal Carolina was 0.186 and 36.1, respectively.
In the Ragin’ Cajuns’ last game, they were defeated by the Little Rock Trojans, 72-61. Jakeenan Gant led Louisiana in scoring with 17 points on 6-for-13 shooting. Little Rock had a turnover percentage of 13.6 (better than their season average of 18.9). Louisiana, on the other hand, had a free throw rate of 0.298 (above their season average of 0.294).
Opposite paces will be on display in this meeting. Louisiana has preferred to play up-tempo (52nd in possessions per game), while Texas State has been more half-court-oriented (337th in possessions per game). Moreover, the Bobcats rank 252nd in offensive efficiency (102.7), while the Ragin’ Cajuns rank 33rd in defensive efficiency (97.9).
Pearson has really been playing well over the last five games for Texas State, averaging 19.0 points, 5.8 rebounds and 3.6 assists per game.
These two teams have met twice already this season, with the Ragin’ Cajuns winning both. Bryce Washington scored a game-high 19 points in the most recent game, in which the Ragin’ Cajuns topped the Bobcats 73-63. He also had 10 rebounds. The Ragin’ Cajuns dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.316 and a turnover percentage of 12.1. The Bobcats were 0.175 and 14.7, respectively, for those same stats.
Texas State Bobcats vs. Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns Betting Prediction
Free College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Louisiana, ATS Winner – Louisiana, O/U – Over
- The Ragin’ Cajuns rank ninth in assists per game (17.5) while the Bobcats rank 142nd (13.6).
- Louisiana ranks 23rd in three pointers allowed per game (18.6) while Texas State ranks 120th (21.0).
- Louisiana ranks 33rd in steals per game (7.5) while Texas State ranks 190th (5.3).
- The Ragin’ Cajuns rank 20th in rebounds per game (39.3) while the Bobcats rank 165th (34.9).
- Louisiana averages 4.5 blocks per game, which ranks 37th in the NCAA. Texas State ranks 177th in blocks allowed per game (4.2).
- The Ragin’ Cajuns’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.6, down from 13.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bobcats have scored an average of 70.6 points per game (3.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 77.6 points per game (12.2 above their season average).