SBC foes will battle when the Appalachian State Mountaineers (5-8) clash with the Texas State Bobcats (7-6) at Holmes Convocation Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 141.5 points with Appalachian State opening as a 3.5-point favorite. Action gets underway at 7:30 p.m. ET on Friday, December 29, 2017.
Texas State Bobcats at Appalachian State Mountaineers Free Preview
The Bobcats defeated the Rice Owls in their last outing, 74-66. With 15 points and 11 rebounds, Texas State’s Immanuel King played well. The Bobcats made 21 of their 28 free throws (75.0 percent) and had a turnover percentage of 11.2 (better than their season average of 18.3).
In the Mountaineers last game, they were beaten by the Hampton Pirates, 86-53. With 10 points and seven rebounds, Isaac Johnson had a good performance for Appalachian State. Converting at the free throw line was one of Hampton’s largest strengths. They were 20-24 (83.3 percent), while the Mountaineers were just 11-20 (55.0 percent).
It will be a battle of conflicting paces as the fast-breaking Mountaineers will look to push the more methodical Bobcats. The Mountaineers currently rank 28th in possessions per game while the Bobcats are 311th. Moreover, the Bobcats, who rank 49th in offensive rebounding percentage (35.0 percent), will square off against the Mountaineers, who rank 45th in defensive rebounding percentage (75.2 percent).
Neither team has shown a tendency in terms of going over or under the projected point total. The Bobcats have the superior straight up (SU) record (7-6 vs. 5-8), but the Mountaineers hold the significant advantage against the spread (ATS) (5-5 vs. 2-4).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Bobcats won both matchups played against each other last season. In the most recent contest, Texas State won 68-55. Texas State had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.536 vs. 0.422). Appalachian State, on the other hand, had a better free throw rate (0.235 vs. 0.164).
Texas State Bobcats at Appalachian State Mountaineers Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Appalachian State, ATS Winner – Texas State, O/U – Under
- The Mountaineers rank 97th in blocks per game (3.6) while the Bobcats rank 127th in blocks allowed per game (3.9).
- Texas State is 2-3 ATS on the road, while Appalachian State is 2-0 ATS at home.
- In 5 road games, the Bobcats have 3 unders and 2 overs.
- In 2 home games, the Mountaineers have 1 over and 1 under.
- Appalachian State ranks 24th in three pointers attempted per game (27.6) while Texas State ranks 230th (18.5).
- The Bobcats rank fifth in rebounds allowed per game (29.2) while the Mountaineers rank 148th (35.2).
- Texas State ranks 125th in steals per game (6.1) while Appalachian State ranks 161st in steals allowed per game (7.8).
- Appalachian State is 2-2 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Texas State is 1-1 ATS with 1 over and 1 under.
- The Mountaineers have been outscored by an average of 5.8 points in their last five games. For the season, Appalachian State has defeated opponents by an average of 6.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Bobcats have scored an average of 77.0 points per game (5.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 59.4 points per game (3.9 below their season average).