SBC foes will clash when the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers (7-7, 1-0 SBC) go head-to-head with the Texas State Bobcats (7-7, 0-1 SBC) at HTC Center. Coastal Carolina opened as a 7.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 137 points. Tip-off is set for 3:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 31, 2017.
Texas State Bobcats at Coastal Carolina Chanticleers ATS Preview
In the Bobcats last outing, they fell to the Appalachian State Mountaineers, 66-62. With 18 points on 7-for-14 shooting, Nijal Pearson led Texas State in scoring. Appalachian State held the Bobcats to an offensive rebounding percentage of 22.6 (below their season average of 35.0). Texas State, meanwhile, had a free throw rate of 0.300 (above their season average of 0.288).
The Chanticleers will look to maintain momentum after blowing out the UT Arlington Mavericks in their last contest, 90-65. Coastal Carolina rallied around Jaylen Shaw, who was the games high scorer with 26 points on 8-for-12 shooting. Coastal Carolina played a perfect game. They had a great effective field goal percentage of 0.595 (above their season average of 0.523) and a free throw rate of 0.362 (above their season average of 0.275). UT Arlington recorded marks of 0.422 and 0.276, respectively, for those same stats.
The battle on the backboards could prove decisive, pitting strength against strength. The Chanticleers rank 33rd in offensive rebounding percentage (36.0 percent), while Texas State ranks 22nd in defensive rebounding percentage (76.3 percent).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Texas State games have finished under 57.1 percent of the time, while 87.5 percent of games featuring Coastal Carolina have gone over. Both teams have decent straight up (SU) records (7-7 for Texas State; 7-7 for Coastal Carolina), but the Chanticleers have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Coastal Carolina is 5-2-1 ATS, while the Bobcats are 3-4.
Shaw has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Coastal Carolina, averaging 16.6 points, 6.0 assists and 2.0 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Bobcats won the most recent game 52-50. The Bobcats dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a great offensive rebounding percentage of 30.8 and a free throw rate of 0.179. For those same stats, the Chanticleers were 20.6 and 0.120, respectively.
Texas State Bobcats vs. Coastal Carolina Chanticleers Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Coastal Carolina, ATS Winner – Texas State, O/U – Over
- Coastal Carolina is 2-1-1 ATS at home, while Texas State is 3-3 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 4 of the Bobcats 6 road games, while 3 of the Chanticleers 4 home games have gone over.
- Coastal Carolina ranks 37th in rebounds per game (40.2) while Texas State ranks 130th (36.6).
- The Chanticleers rank 36th in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while the Bobcats rank 123rd (3.9).
- Coastal Carolina ranks 165th in three pointers attempted per game (21.1) while Texas State ranks 246th (17.8).
- Coastal Carolina is 3-0-1 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Texas State is 2-1 ATS with 2 unders and 1 over.
- The Chanticleers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 6.0, down from 8.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bobcats have scored an average of 69.4 points per game (1.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 62.6 points per game (0.9 below their season average).