The No. 16 Texas Southern Tigers (16-19) square off against the No. 1 Xavier Musketeers (28-5) in the First Round of the NCAA Tournament at Bridgestone Arena. The game is scheduled to start at 7:20 p.m. ET on Friday, March 16, 2018.
Texas Southern Tigers vs. Xavier Musketeers ATS Odds
In their last matchup, the Musketeers lost a tough one against the Providence Friars, 75-72, while the Tigers dismantled the No. 16 North Carolina Central Eagles, 64-46.
The Tigers knocked down 16 of their 19 free throws (84.2 percent) and held the Eagles to an effective field goal percentage of 0.304 (below their season average of 0.519). Xavier, meanwhile, held Providence to an offensive rebounding percentage of 17.5 (below their season average of 29.6). Trevon Bluiett played a key role for Xavier with 13 points and six rebounds. Meanwhile, Texas Southern was led by Demontrae Jefferson, who had 25 points and eight rebounds.
Xavier could dominate on the offensive side of the ball as their prolific offense squares off against one of the worst defenses in the nation. The Musketeers rank 14th in offensive efficiency, while Texas Southern ranks 285th in defensive efficiency. Additionally, the Tigers rank sixth in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.310), while the Musketeers rank 25th in opponents’ FTA rate (0.186).
Vegas is extremely precise when setting the O/U total of Tigers games, with an even split between overs and unders. Texas Southern heads into the game with records of 16-19 straight up (SU) and 7-1 against the spread (ATS).
Games involving the Musketeers have typically gone over the total (56.3 percent). Additionally, Xavier is 28-5 SU and 21-12 ATS.
Texas Southern Tigers vs. Xavier Musketeers Betting Pick
Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Texas Southern, ATS Winner – Texas Southern, O/U – Under
- Xavier ranks 20th in rebounds allowed per game (31.2) while Texas Southern ranks 272nd (38.2).
- The Tigers rank 39th in steals allowed per game (5.3) while the Musketeers rank 169th (6.6).
- Texas Southern ranks 65th in blocks per game (4.1) while Xavier ranks 160th in blocks allowed per game (3.6).
- The Musketeers rank 20th in assists per game (16.6) while the Tigers rank 264th in assists allowed per game (15.7).
- Texas Southern ranks 125th in three pointers allowed per game (21.1) while Xavier ranks 297th (25.9).
- The Musketeers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 10.0, up from 9.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Tigers have scored an average of 80.8 points per game (3.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 67.2 points per game (11.6 below their season average).