The UAPB Golden Lions (14-20, 14-6 SWAC) and the Texas Southern Tigers (14-19, 14-6 SWAC) face off in the Southwestern Athletic Conference Tourney at Delmar Fieldhouse. Tip-off is scheduled for 5 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 10, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Texas Southern Tigers vs. UAPB Golden Lions ATS Preview
In the Tigers last game, they defeated the Prairie View A&M Panthers, 88-74. Donte Clark led Texas Southern in scoring with 22 points on 6-for-14 shooting. The Tigers had a great effective field goal percentage of 0.581 (above their season average of 0.501) and had a turnover percentage of 13.2 (better than their season average of 15.2).
The Golden Lions hope to maintain momentum after beating the Southern University Jaguars in their last matchup, 71-65. UAPB was lifted by Martaveous McKnight, who was the top scorer from either team with 28 points on 10-for-15 shooting. The Golden Lions had a solid effective field goal percentage of 0.557 (above their season average of 0.497) and had a free throw rate of 0.500 (above their season average of 0.240).
UAPB figures to have the advantage on the defensive side of the ball. The Golden Lions rank 79th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.487), while Texas Southern is 213th in effective field goal percentage (0.504). Also, the Tigers, who rank ninth in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.306), will battle against the Golden Lions, who rank 339th in opponents FTA rate (0.314).
Demontrae Jefferson has been on fire over the last five games for Texas Southern, averaging 28.2 points, 6.2 assists and 1.2 steals per game.
These two teams have met twice already this season, with the Golden Lions winning both. In the most recent game, the Tigers lost 62-61. Jefferson scored a game-high 25 points and also recorded six rebounds. The Golden Lions offensive rebounding percentage was their biggest strength over the Tigers. UAPB had a rate of 31.0, while Texas Southern posted a mark of 27.3.
Texas Southern Tigers vs. UAPB Golden Lions Odds Prediction
Free Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Texas Southern, ATS Winner – Texas Southern, O/U – Under
- The Golden Lions rank 168th in assists allowed per game (13.8) while the Tigers rank 264th (16.0).
- Texas Southern ranks 155th in three pointers attempted per game (21.5) while UAPB ranks 241st (19.0).
- Texas Southern ranks 37th in steals allowed per game (5.2) while UAPB ranks 223rd (7.9).
- The Tigers rank 110th in rebounds per game (36.3) while the Golden Lions rank 296th (29.4).
- UAPB ranks second in blocks allowed per game (1.9) while Texas Southern ranks 183rd (4.0).
- The Golden Lions have outscored opponents by an average of 10.6 points in their last five games. For the season, UAPB has been defeated by an average of 5.2 points.
- During their last five games, the Tigers have scored an average of 88.2 points per game (10.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 77.2 points per game (2.9 below their season average).