The undefeated No. 14 TCU Horned Frogs (10-0) try to continue their impressive start when they challenge the winless Texas Southern Tigers (0-11) at Ed & Rae Schollmaier Arena. Action gets underway at 9 p.m. ET on Monday, December 18, 2017.
Texas Southern Tigers vs. TCU Horned Frogs Free Preview
The Tigers fell to the Wyoming Cowboys in their last contest, 72-66. Demontrae Jefferson had a solid game for Texas Southern, leading both teams in scoring with 27 points on 9-for-20 shooting. Wyoming did a terrific job of making free throws (19-26; 73.1 percent). Texas Southern, on the other hand, forced the Cowboys into a turnover percentage of 20.8 (above their season average of 15.0).
In the Horned Frogs last matchup, they defeated the No. 22 Nevada Wolf Pack, 84-80. TCU was lifted by Kenrich Williams, who recorded 16 points and 11 rebounds. TCU’s effective field goal percentage was their largest strength over Nevada. The Horned Frogs had a rate of 0.648 (above their season average of 0.606), while the Wolf Pack posted a mark of 0.508 (below their season average of 0.580).
The high-powered offense of TCU (16th in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 119.2) will square off against the bottom-tier defense of Texas Southern (346th in the nation with a defensive efficiency of 119.1). The Horned Frogs figure to have the advantage on that end of the court. Furthermore, the Tigers, who rank 283rd in offensive rebounding percentage (25.8 percent), will clash against the Horned Frogs, who rank 11th in defensive rebounding percentage (77.8 percent).
Williams has been impressive over the last five games for TCU, averaging 18.0 points, 11.6 rebounds, 3.6 assists and 2.6 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year, after the Horned Frogs won the sole contest last season, 96-59. The Horned Frogs dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 48.6 and a great effective field goal percentage of 0.588. For those same stats, the Tigers were 21.4 and 0.381, respectively.
Texas Southern Tigers at TCU Horned Frogs Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Texas Southern, ATS Winner – Texas Southern, O/U – Under
- The Tigers average 24.1 three pointers per game, which ranks 80th in the NCAA. The Horned Frogs rank 205th in three pointers allowed per game (24.2).
- TCU ranks 44th in steals per game (7.8) while Texas Southern ranks 136th (5.9).
- TCU ranks third in rebounds allowed per game (28.6) while Texas Southern ranks 257th (41.5).
- The Horned Frogs rank sixth in assists per game (19.2) while the Tigers rank 229th (11.1).
- TCU ranks 32nd in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while Texas Southern ranks 161st (4.6).
- The Horned Frogs average margin of victory in their last five games has been 12.4, down from 14.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Tigers have scored an average of 71.6 points per game (0.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 82.6 points per game (4.3 below their season average).