The Texas Southern Tigers (0-12) are off to a slow start and will try to pick up their first win when they clash against the BYU Cougars (10-2) at Marriott Center. Action starts at 9 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 23, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN Full Court.
Texas Southern Tigers at BYU Cougars Odds Preview
In the Tigers last matchup, they were blown out by the No. 15 TCU Horned Frogs, 91-72. With 29 points on 12-for-22 shooting, Demontrae Jefferson was the games leading scorer. TCU had an offensive rebounding percentage of 55.6 (above their season average of 30.9). Texas Southern, on the other hand, held the Horned Frogs to an effective field goal percentage of 0.474 (below their season average of 0.610).
The Cougars hope to keep it rolling after topping the Idaho State Bengals in their last game, 85-71. BYU received a boost from Yoeli Childs, who was the games high scorer with 20 points on 8-for-13 shooting. BYU played a nearly flawless game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.458 (above their season average of 0.312) and a turnover percentage of 12.9 (better than their season average of 16.7). Idaho State put up marks of 0.088 and 16.4, respectively, for those same stats.
BYU could have their way on the offensive side of the ball as their upper-echelon offense faces off against one of the worst defenses in the NCAA. The Cougars rank 49th in effective field goal percentage (0.556), while Texas Southern ranks 324th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.552). Additionally, put-back points figure to be few and far between for the Tigers. They rank 287th in the nation in offensive rebounding percentage at 25.8 percent, while the Cougars are 26th-best on the defensive glass (defensive rebounding percentage of 75.9 percent).
Texas Southern Tigers vs. BYU Cougars Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – BYU, ATS Winner – BYU, O/U – Under
- The Cougars rank 44th in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while the Tigers rank 139th (4.3).
- BYU ranks 22nd in rebounds allowed per game (30.8) while Texas Southern ranks 271st (42.3).
- The Cougars rank 58th in three pointers allowed per game (19.9) while the Tigers rank 242nd (26.4).
- The Cougars average margin of victory in their last five games has been 10.6, up from 8.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Tigers have scored an average of 68.6 points per game (3.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 81.4 points per game (5.8 below their season average).