The Texas-Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros (12-11, 3-3 WAC) will attempt to snap the eight-game winning streak of New Mexico State when they travel to Pan American Center to clash against the Aggies (19-3, 6-0 WAC). Tip-off is set for 6 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 3, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN Full Court.
Texas-Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros vs. New Mexico State Aggies ATS Preview
In the Vaqueros last outing, they had no trouble getting past the Wayland Baptist Pioneers, 86-50. Nick Dixon was the top scorer from either team with 20 points on 8-for-15 shooting. Texas-Rio Grande Valley played a perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.171 (matching their season average) and a turnover percentage of 13.5 (better than their season average of 15.8). For those same stats, Wayland Baptist had marks of 0.074 and 21.9, respectively.
The Aggies hope to keep it rolling after thoroughly outplaying the Northern New Mexico Eagles in their last matchup, 71-45. New Mexico State rallied around Jemerrio Jones, who was the games leading scorer with 14 points on 6-for-9 shooting. The Aggies had a better free throw rate (0.136 vs. 0.063) and held the Eagles to an effective field goal percentage of 0.325 (below their season average of 0.433).
New Mexico State could dominate on the defensive side of the ball as they face off against one of the nations worst offenses. The Aggies currently rank 26th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.455), while Texas-Rio Grande Valley is 301st in effective field goal percentage (0.466). ,
Dixon has been exceptional over the last five games for Texas-Rio Grande Valley, averaging 24.4 points and 5.2 rebounds per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Aggies won both meetings played against each other last season. In the last contest, New Mexico State won 107-81. The Aggies played a nearly perfect game. They had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 50.0 and a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.477. The Vaqueros were 15.4 and 0.162, respectively, for those same stats.
Texas-Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros vs. New Mexico State Aggies Prediction
Free College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – New Mexico State, ATS Winner – New Mexico State, O/U – Under
- The Aggies rank fifth in blocks allowed per game (2.3) while the Vaqueros rank 73rd (3.7).
- New Mexico State averages 39.9 rebounds per game, which ranks 27th in the nation. Texas-Rio Grande Valley ranks 277th in rebounds allowed per game (40.3).
- The Aggies rank 10th in assists allowed per game (9.2) while the Vaqueros rank 235th (14.6).
- Texas-Rio Grande Valley ranks 32nd in steals per game (8.0) while New Mexico State ranks 198th (5.5).
- The Aggies average margin of victory in their last five games has been 20.8, up from 12.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Vaqueros have scored an average of 79.2 points per game (1.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 75.6 points per game (1.8 below their season average).