WAC foes will collide when the Grand Canyon Antelopes (11-6, 1-1 WAC) go head-to-head against the Texas-Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros (10-8, 2-0 WAC) at Grand Canyon University Arena. Action gets underway at 9 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 13, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Texas-Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros at Grand Canyon Antelopes Odds Preview
In the Vaqueros last contest, they beat the Bakersfield Roadrunners, 87-74. With 17 points, Texas-Rio Grande Valley’s Moe McDonald had a good outing. Texas-Rio Grande Valley dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 12.0 (better than their season average of 16.8) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.613 (above their season average of 0.463). For those same stats, Bakersfield recorded marks of 18.3 and 0.440, respectively.
The Antelopes are trying to rebound after their 70-59 loss to the New Mexico State Aggies in their last outing. With 12 points and 12 rebounds, Grand Canyon’s Keonta Vernon had a good game. New Mexico State had an offensive rebounding percentage of 43.8 (above their season average of 34.6). Grand Canyon, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 9.1 (better than their season average of 17.1).
Grand Canyon could have their way on the defensive side of the ball as they face off against one of the worst offenses in the nation. The Antelopes currently rank fifth in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.429), while Texas-Rio Grande Valley is 316th in effective field goal percentage (0.470).
This is the first time these teams will meet this year, after the Antelopes won both matchups last season. In the last contest, Grand Canyon won 76-57. The Antelopes played a nearly perfect game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.358 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.538. The Vaqueros put up marks of 0.154 and 0.362, respectively, for those same stats.
Texas-Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros vs. Grand Canyon Antelopes Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Texas-Rio Grande Valley, ATS Winner – Texas-Rio Grande Valley, O/U – Under
- The Antelopes rank 32nd in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while the Vaqueros rank 83rd (3.4).
- Grand Canyon allows the fourth-fewest three pointers per game (15.2) while Texas-Rio Grande Valley ranks 38th (19.3).
- Grand Canyon averages 38.2 rebounds per game, which ranks 67th in the nation. Texas-Rio Grande Valley ranks 252nd in rebounds allowed per game (40.1).
- The Antelopes rank fourth in assists allowed per game (9.4) while the Vaqueros rank 163rd (14.3).
- Texas-Rio Grande Valley averages 8.0 steals per game, which ranks 34th in the nation. Grand Canyon ranks 101st in steals allowed per game (6.4).
- The Antelopes average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.8, down from 10.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Vaqueros have scored an average of 83.8 points per game (6.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 76.2 points per game (1.7 below their season average).