Big 12 foes will collide when the Iowa State Cyclones (9-3, 0-1 Big 12) square off against the Texas Longhorns (9-4, 0-1 Big 12) at James H. Hilton Coliseum. Texas opened as a 3-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 137.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Monday, January 1, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Texas Longhorns vs. Iowa State Cyclones ATS Preview
The Longhorns lost to the No. 11 Kansas Jayhawks in their last matchup, 92-86. With 22 points on 9-for-16 shooting, Mohamed Bamba led Texas in scoring. Kansas was lights out from beyond the arc (17-35; 48.6 percent). Texas, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 40.9 (above their season average of 28.8).
In the Cyclones last matchup, they were beaten by the Kansas State Wildcats, 91-75. Lindell Wigginton led Iowa State in scoring with 23 points on 6-for-10 shooting. Kansas State was lights out from beyond the arc (13-26; 50.0 percent). Iowa State, on the other hand, had a free throw rate of 0.490 (above their season average of 0.224).
Iowa State might struggle to score as they face off against one of the nations best defenses. Texas ranks 11th in defensive efficiency, while the Cyclones rank 119th in offensive efficiency.
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Games featuring Texas have gone under 66.7 percent of the time, while Iowa State games have finished over 60.0 percent of the time. Both teams have solid straight up (SU) records (9-4 for Texas; 9-3 for Iowa State), but the Cyclones hold a slight edge against the spread (ATS). Iowa State is 3-6-1 ATS, while the Longhorns are 3-6.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the last game, the Longhorns won 67-65. Texas had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (31.6 vs. 15.6). Iowa State, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (13.9 vs. 16.3).
Texas Longhorns at Iowa State Cyclones Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Texas, ATS Winner – Texas, O/U – Under
- The Cyclones rank 89th in rebounds per game (37.8) while the Longhorns rank 163rd in rebounds allowed per game (36.4).
- Texas ranks 35th in steals allowed per game (5.2) while Iowa State ranks 91st (6.2).
- Texas is 2-3 ATS on the road with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- At home, Iowa State is 1-3-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- Texas ranks 128th in three pointers allowed per game (22.1) while Iowa State ranks 237th (25.6).
- The Longhorns rank 16th in assists allowed per game (10.2) while the Cyclones rank 103rd (12.8).
- Texas ranks eighth in blocks per game (6.5) while Iowa State ranks 83rd (3.8).
- Iowa State is 1-1-1 ATS with 3 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Texas is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Cyclones average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.4, up from 4.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Longhorns have scored an average of 65.2 points per game (8.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 61.4 points per game (1.4 below their season average).